Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, need help please.
I have just bought the car from a neighbour.

Renualt Clio 1.2 petrol. Cylinder head gasket gone and oil turned to mayo (engine runs ok).
My guess is it has been over revved, and over heated due to common problems.

Anyhow, the engine started ok this morning, I tried to reverse the car out of my drive and stalled it. Restarted the engine and at idle the revs went up and down, up and down, up and down.
The red STOP light on the dash was on. Switched off the engine had a cup of coffee, went back to it, engine started ok, but now on the dash is the SERVICE light and an air bag light.

Here's the question: Does stalling the engine usually result in the service and air bag lights coming on, and why did the engine revs raise and fall at idle?
Does the oil filter have a sensor that detects bad / mayo oil?

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,242 Posts
Guessing this is a mark 2, check your throttle body is clean!
Airbag light could just be a dodgy connection under the seats.lots of posts on here.
No sensor on the oil filter to show its turned to mayo,.....
Before you strip the head, are you losing any water.
Have known these engines run for 1000's of miles, when the head has lifted, new oil/filter is all that's been needed, you could be one of the lucky ones

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,630 Posts
Dunno about the rise and fall specifically except...
When I've stalled my Scenic, I've had strange error messages pop up, low battery is a common one but seem to recall check brakes and the low fluid warning.
There was plenty in the bottle.
I've put it down to the stall stopping charging before the system thinks it should, so throws a slight wobbly.

We did have a chap a few weeks back had a spurious ABS fault with a flat battery.
Could be similar, he had to get codes cleared once he got running again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi, need help please.
I have just bought the car from a neighbour.

Renualt Clio 1.2 petrol. Cylinder head gasket gone and oil turned to mayo (engine runs ok).
My guess is it has been over revved, and over heated due to common problems.

Anyhow, the engine started ok this morning, I tried to reverse the car out of my drive and stalled it. Restarted the engine and at idle the revs went up and down, up and down, up and down.
The red STOP light on the dash was on. Switched off the engine had a cup of coffee, went back to it, engine started ok, but now on the dash is the SERVICE light and an air bag light.

Here's the question: Does stalling the engine usually result in the service and air bag lights coming on, and why did the engine revs raise and fall at idle?
Does the oil filter have a sensor that detects bad / mayo oil?

Thanks for any help you can give.
I got the same errors when I stalled my clio, service light and airbag light come on, might be a problem with clios? mines a 2003 1.2l mk2. Sorry I know that's no help to you fixing it just thought i'd better say :d

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol it's in the FAQ section.

Under the passenger seat, grey connector block, cut it off and solder wires.

Someone has already done it on mine but used crimped bullet connectors. Which is why it went wrong again.

Well that's that question well and truly sorted. Now on to the next problem :d

Thanks all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stalled it again today, and then the same rise and fall revs at tick over.
I'd love to know what this problem is as I had an old Fiat that did the same thing.

1/3/2002 is this a mk1 or mk2?

Previous owner states the head has not gone, as the water level has not dropped in the bottle. Few.....

Re the mayo oil these engines suffer from, I have not found any vent at the top of the engine to let the water vapour out, how odd.
Do you think that a catch oil bottle / breather fitted to the oil filler cap would work to remove moisture?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm shocked.

I took the pipe work off the throttle body to see the butterfly valve with crud all over it, and mayo at the bottom.
The breather pipe that was attached to it was full of mayo and the air pipe from the filter was swimming in it.

What an awful design. Can anyone see a problem with using a "Catch oil can" and blocking off the breather hose to the throttle body?

·
38,242 Posts
Why would you bother,,, :smile2:
This sounds like the car was only ever been driven around town, not getting hot enough.
Ask yourself, when was the last time the throttle body has been cleaned?
Had your neighbour ever cleaned it.
Give it a good engine service, clean your breather/breathers, and see how it runs...
Old oil and condensation = mayo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But where would the damp air be coming from?
He (or someone else) supposedly did an oil + filter change a month ago, and I removed a yoghurt pot of chocolate moose from the oil filler. That's a lot of damp air.

Of course his daughter may well have topped up the oil with screen wash, the header tank does smell very nice.

All cleaned up now, I'll change the oil and filter again just to be sure, and then thrape it up the motorway.

·
38,242 Posts
IF, you have lost no water, then the engine is building up a lot of condensation,,if the breathers are blocked, then as the oil gets hot, this also gives off condensation, ( SURE SOMEONE WILL GIVE THE CORRECT TERMINOLOGY) .
But this steam that the oil makes, has no where to go,, so it forms as a condensation, mixes with the oil, and the vicious circle starts again....
You have cleaned your breathers, so no more hesitation on pulling away from junctions, so no damp air now, as it is being drawn into the engine and burnt

hows that sound,, Am I convincing you , stop spending on it,,,, until you are sure:wink2: you need to

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My thoughts were, once the damp air condensed in the engine and then water & oil emulsified in to mayo, then there would be no more, as the air in the engine is contained.

But of course it isn't, the breather is just after the air filter, and the breather pipe is vertical 180 degrees at the bottom of the air pipe.
So, damp air coming in condenses on the nice warm air pipe and then runs down the damn breather pipe causing mayo. If the breather pipe joined the air intake pipe at the top (0 degrees instead of 180 degrees) there would be no problem with mayo.

I do understand vaporising the damp air off with a nice hot engine, but there are other owners complaining about the same thing, and I have run my other cars for short distances and not got this problem.

Guys, thank you for your help. The Catch can I have ordered will act as a condensate trap. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
hi

before we all go off at different tangents can you confirm which Clio you have is it the 1.2 8v or the 16 v ?

thanks

Al

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Yours is the 8 valve engine.

Most of the water in oil is produced when petrol burns.
Not all that steam from the exhaust escapes from the cylinder. Some gets past the piston rings and into the sump.

There is usually 2 oil breather circuits. One before the throttle body and one directly into the intake manifold.
The oil fumes are drawn through depending on intake vacuum levels, so both routes need to be clear.
You might even need to remove and clean out the rocker cover depending on how bad things have got.

Most of the complainants seem to be 16v owners which uses a different set up for the breather system.

If you fit a catch tank, you might encounter oil fumes around the engine bay so it would be better to use the original breather system if possible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got the tank today.

It works with one hose to the engine breather and the other hose to the inlet manifold, just as the original pipe did. So really nothing has changed, but now it has a trap in the middle.
So it's better than I thought.

Yea, it's odd that we can't vent oil vapour to the engine bay (with a filter?) but it's ok to burn it and gas everyone.

In a few months I'll let you know how much water this thing has collected.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts