Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
advice please gentlemen... looking at tuning my clio and just got my hands on a set of coilovers. As you may know the clio i have is on stilts, the coilovers i have bought can be lowered 70mm but i have heard you can remove "helper springs" meaning it will go much lower... is it a good idea for me to do this or should i just be happy with the improved handling of my 70mm lower car?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
All i would say is think about ground clearance over speed humps. I've seen so many modded cars with trashed front bumpers/valances where they have been lowered too much. It also affects ride comfort which can be very tiresome if you have to drive long distances. I've found about 30-35mm to be a good compromise for comfort/clearance.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
As well as considering clearance whilst traveling over speed bumps, you also need to consider traveling across potholes, as these are encountered without warning to brake. You may end up trashing not only the suspension, but also your sump, exhaust or any other part of the car's underside.

I would personally keep the set-up (with 70mm drop), and see how that goes, before considering any further changes.

HTH

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great! Thanks guys. They should be coming tomorrow and I will fit them on Saturday. Typical that my front Renault badge has fallen off today though?!? I didn't even realise that could happen so easily, looks like it's time to start using glue to hold my car together :(

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Good thing about coilovers is you can mess around with the height settings so adjust them and see what you prefer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thank[/QUOTE]
advice please gentlemen... looking at tuning my clio and just got my hands on a set of coilovers. As you may know the clio i have is on stilts, the coilovers i have bought can be lowered 70mm but i have heard you can remove "helper springs" meaning it will go much lower... is it a good idea for me to do this or should i just be happy with the improved handling of my 70mm lower car?

thanks
Hi mate, where exactly did you get your coilovers??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts