Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I need some help and advice about my girlfriends car. She has got a 2003 CLIO 1.4 16V Automatic.
The car broke down the other night and I am still trying to find the problem :crazy:

Symptoms
The car will start but does not idle as soon as you let it get below 800 rpm it cuts out.
It also backfires a little bit but as soon as you try to select drive the revs start to drop and the backfiring gets really bad!

I have checked spark plug and coil but all seem OK. As cleaned throttle body and all seems to be good. There are no engine management lights on and when I plug in diagnostics software that says there are no fault codes.

Has anyone got any ideas on this?

Many Thanks
Jim

R

·
0 Posts
Have you cleaned the TDC sensor? check the connector for corrosion too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK so an update on the car.
I took out the TDC senor on Friday what a job! Because it has an auto gearbox it was difficult to get at. Gave it a clean and made no difference.

I plugged the diagnostics software in to check if there was an fault codes because the engine management light came on this time. It was saying the TPS Senor (Throttle Position Senor) code P0120?

Would this cause the car to backfire and lose power in drive? It doesn't do it in neutral but it still doesn't idle. Could this be a gearbox fault i.e clutches or solenoid??

Jim

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I dpubt very much an auto-box fault would cause the engine to back fire - it's more likely to be a fueling problem.

Have you checked the MAP sensor and had a look for leaks in the intake system?:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, i have taken the MAP sensor off and cleaned it but no difference, will check inlet manifold for leaks tho.

Any more ideas? Could it be dirty fuel???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts