Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A few days ago whilst driving on the motorway, the gearbox kept popping out of fifth gear. After talking with someone in the know, I was told it was a common thing for Renault gearbox mechanism to wear off that way and that if I kept my hand on the gear stick whilst driving it'd be alright.

So on my way back from Coventry this is what i did and then about 20 miles from home, the fifth gear vanished from under my foot.

The problem is this, I can get the gear stick into 5th but it's like it's in neutral. All other gears are working fine (incl reverse although it gives a crunching sound sometimes).

I drive a 1995 Clio 1.4 RT (83K). Has anyone ever had this problem before? Is it gearbox or clutch? What cost am I looking at?

Thanks in advance

P.S: I'm clueless when it comes to cars and i'd like a bit of advice so I don't get ripped off too much when I take down the garage.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Whot no fifth gear

If you are getting all other gears and the clutch isn't slipping it sounds like a gearbox problem. Altough there is a remote possibility it's the gear change linkage. Have the linkage checked out first and if it's OK it looks like a visit to the scrappie.:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
See your point Chris - that's why I suggested he have the linkage checked - but you have to remember the linkage only moves the gear selectors and won't stop them from jumping out if they want to as the mechanism that holds the synchro hubs whilst in gear is incorporated inside the gearbox. Considering the age of the vehicle a second hand box is probably the cheapest way out.:)

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Hi I had a simular experiance to this on a hillman avenger being as I was in the process of a divorce and the wife was keeping that car had a chat with a local gearbox place that rebuilt them they said it was proberbly the nut on the end of the shaft that held the fifth gear in place on the shaft comming undone so on the week end i stripped the box down carefully taking note of what was where and low and behold it was exatly that the tab washer had not been knocked over enough and had worked loose allowing the gear to move away from the sincro which first showed as jummping out the accational crunch you hear is the gear touching other parts when it is not supposed to if you do it now and it is the same total cost will be new oil pluss your time
john

1 - 7 of 7 Posts