Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a Clio II 1.4 (k4J) which usually doesn't start, espectially when cold. The problem started last september and is fairly sporadic.
First of all I've checked the battery terminals which are in good condition and the engine turns strongly.
I've already replaced the Idle speed control stepper, which I suspected but it was not this.
The spark plugs have not been changed, I read that incorrect gap can lead to uneasy starting when cold. Will try as they're cheap.
I think its a component of the fuel injection system but im not 100%.
What id like to know is there any common part of these cars that cause same symptoms as mine? Maybe something i could check and rule out easily? Im really stumped.
Failing everything im going to have to get it read by a computer which isnt going to be cheap.. :mad:
Thanks for your thoughts,

Steve

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:)

Do a search for TDC sensor and you should find some usefull info.

As long as the engine is turning over and not firing,then it does sound like a TDC sensor fault.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idle speed

Also the engine idles very slowly. Im talking around 500rpm and below. I thought the engine should tick over quickly when cold. The dials, which display the milage, oil, trip etc has also gone bonkers. some parts are lit up and others not making unreadable stuff. Is this likely to be an ECU fault?? :confused:

Thankyou

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Re-the display problems,it's back lit by small bulbs which can blow,making half or all of the display unreadable.

If your in any doubt about Top Dead Centre sensor location,then theres a thread in the 'How To' section you might find usefull.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts