Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Clio owners, Having just purchased a Mk1 clio champ elysees i am new to these forums.
Im after some help in solving the reason for the amount of play in the steering of this vehicle. it was noted on on an MOT done in August 2010 play in steering .
I have read its a common clio issue and would like suggestions on the best way to resolve it and approx cost from others of you who have had this problem. from dead center the steering wheel can be moved back and fourth approc 1.5 to 2 inches with no response from wheels..its perfectly fine after that with no noise or known issues..
thank you for any help.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
There is a bonded rubber joint at the bottom of the steering column. It can eventually deteriorate after time. Look down inside the drivers footwell and you should be able to see a large heavy duty dome-shaped grommet. Yank this back up and hopefully all should be revealed. You may need to slice the top end as it can be stiff. On replacement a few turns of duct tape will keep it in place.

Once exposed the joint can be safely welded by someone who is good at Mig welding - just insure the steering whell is central before welding.

I done this a few years back on my Clio and all has been well ever since.

Have a look through the link below - it may be of some assistance. Also see attached pictures

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=583719&mid=0&nmt=Renault Clio Steering U/J

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that information and the photos, you may have saved me a great deal of time and money getting this sorted. Im fairly confident this would be the issue as i could feel some movement under the rubber protector. Is this a legal mod that a garage would do i would they stay away and say do it at ya own risk..to me it looks much safer than a rubber gromet that can wear out..
thanks again your help has been muchly appreciatted.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The joint is designed fail-safe. In other words should the bonded rubber connection fail you won't lose steering - it will only rattle around and give excess play as you are having. Welding the joint correctly in no way should compromise the safety aspect. In other words should the weld fail the steering will still retain its integrity.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for ya help.
Im going to go and see if i can find a welder in Harlow essex area who could look at this job for me. I see its a common problem know which u allways find out after u purchase a car..:mad:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for ya help.
Im going to go and see if i can find a welder in Harlow essex area who could look at this job for me. I see its a common problem know which u allways find out after u purchase a car..:mad:
Let me know how you get on, Leethal. I have the exact same problem and I'm not that far from Harlow, so I might want to use your welding guy if you recommend him.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad im not alone on this issue..
I have not been able to find anyone able to do this work..soon as u say weld and steering they all say we cant do that its not legal..So if u find someone pls let me know. I have been quoted about 130 to get a new coloumn fitted at 2hours labour plus part. no idea if this is good or bad price..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been wondering whether to use some "liquid metal" to fill the gap.....Costs under a tenner.

Does anybody have an opinion on that?

I know it will not be as good a job as real welding but people who have used it for other repairs say that liquid metal sets as hard as sh*t!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_176487_langId_-1_categoryId_165691

By the way, 130 pounds sounds very reasonable for labour but I bet the parts are expensive!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Well, if the joint is fail safe, trying the liquid metal couldn't hurt. I've found it's very strong by and of itself but tends to fail at the joined surface, however well you clean it up first.

Reactions: exoticasian30

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

Im over in Brittany and have this same problem along with wheel bearings shot :crazy:

Ive got SOOOOO much play in the rack im bit worries about welding it but its a sake thing to be doing yar???

cheers

great website and ultimately saving me loada dolla!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks, Azurael. I'm going to give it a shot with the liquid metal and if that fails, it will have to be "real" welding. I'd prefer a new column but the value of the car does not justify it. I have already spent 85 quid on parts today, getting 2x new front wheel bearings and 2x new front lower ball joints. I'm taking the wheel hubs to a local garage tommorrow (removed them myself to save some money) to have the new bearings pressed in. I was qouted 20 quid for this so the whole job should come to just over 100. Not too bad overall.

deadroo

Welding any steering column is not really the safest thing to do. Really, we should all be going out and buying new parts but some of us just don't have enough spare money to do so.

So:

Best option is to buy and fit a new steering column.

Second best option is to weld the column to take out the "free play".

Worst option is to not to anything to the column and drive around in a Clio that wanders all over the road (like mine has been doing!):crazy:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I have seen the metal bonding tried and it just doesn't work as it doesn't want to bond to the metal.
Stuffig it with metal bonding amy cause further problems if you decide to weld it - thus entailing a replacement column.

I have the column welded in my own Clio and know that if it fails the design of the joint will still retain its integrity. My Clio column has been welded for over two years now and is still holding.

Welding is the cheapest option - it cost me £20 and was carried out by a certificated welder. using MIG.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts