Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I'm hoping someone can help me on this brilliant forum. After 30 years of amateur spannering I'm finally stumped and it's my daughter I'm letting down.
She has a 51 clio 1.5dci that developed a problem when starting a couple of weeks ago. once it did start it ran perfectly. eventually it wouldn't start at all.
I towed it home and snap dignosed glow plugs. - while changing these i managed to snap two off in the head - now my woes increase!
one week later - head removed - glow plugs drilled out and heli-coiled - head replaced with new timing belt, gasket, head bolts etc. Turned the key - exactly the same problem - tries to start but wont.
I've followed the helpful leads on this forum and have since changed the TDC sensor and plug/flylead supplied by renault, swapped the 3 little black relays around, swapped the glow plug unit with the one from my clio to prove it and am now at my wits end.

No Dad likes to let his daughter down!

meant to say that before attempting start up the imobiliser light and glow plug light both perform as they should.

Can anyone help please?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,927 Posts
What about the cam sensor it's at the belt end of the camshaft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
could be fuel ,related as in diesel pump or maybe injector pump,would need read by diagnostic computer,to eliminate either.they can be awkward ,go at any time,just as simple as going to shop,switching on ,then off at shop,then not starting when you come out,just turning over?.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Ralph
I'll attempt to swap the cam sensor from my 2004 as it looks the same - when it stops raining and I get a chance.

as for fuel related suggestion - thanks Traceymac, I do have a cheap (but usually reliable) OBD code reader which is showing no codes at all. would this be good enough?
It does try to "fire" but just wont run.

I'd like to get the protective lid off the ECU - who fitted these things - Houdini? any ideas on this too

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The cam sensor is a definate possiblity,the 1.5 dCi can suffer from poor compressions (especially on cold initial start-up) due to sticking piston rings too.

Did you use a locking kit when changing the belt?.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cam sensor is a definate possiblity,the 1.5 dCi can suffer from poor compressions (especially on cold initial start-up) due to sticking piston rings too.

Did you use a locking kit when changing the belt?.
I did ensure the cam gear had a locking pin in it and the bottom end hadn't moved when i put the new cam belt on - the timing marks on the belt lined up as expected. - the outcome was the same though after all that work - it still wouldn't run though it tries to fire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I tried a different cam sensor - no change.
Did have a word with a local mechanic who had the same symptoms on a Kangoo, turns out he had probs with the fuel pump. with this in mind i tried starting it while someone pumped the priming bulb and it didn't start better! what I mean by that is it tried to run and almost did without actually starting, so I've taken the pump and injectors off to have them tested and I'll post the outcome..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi again Guys
Saga gets worse.
I had fuel pump tested and injectors cleaned, reassembled everything and still no start. then came the "school boy error". having not read the forum thread about no woodruff key on the crank I set the Timing using the correct pins but managed to let it slip by not bolting the aux belt up tight. Have now trashed the head! others please learn from my mistake!
am awaiting recon head by courier.

I didn't remover the injectors but the machine shop did and bagged them up. having spent the last few days reading nearly every relevant thread on here I am now aware of the injectors being coded to the ECU.

Question! - do the injectors have to be in their correct (old) firing order to satisfy the ecu. or will i have to have them reset if i don't know the order? Will she start?
thanks everyone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts