Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm having issues with my Clio and I've looked on the forums and have seen so many things similar but nothing exactly like my problem.

I bought the car from a friend yesterday, 54 reg, 1.5dCi 102,000 miles, its was MOT'd a couple of days ago and the emissions were done.

Whilst driving it home yesterday I was doing around 70mph, maybe a tiny bit more (to keep up with the traffic) and I noticed a couple of times that when I was at speed the light on the dash with the coil/wiggly line came on a few times, when I slowed down it stopped (I had a Megane once that did this and it was the coil pack)

Whilst driving last night at around 70 again the car jolted once and made a whooshing noise that I can only describe as sounding a bit like when a turbo kicks in, it only lasted a few seconds and didn't seem to cause any problems afterwards, I thought I would wait until Monday to get it looked at.

Then today when I was back on the motorway I suddenly noticed that I couldn't go any faster than 60 and my foot was to the floor, I tried pumping the pedal, changing gears slowing down and speeding up but nothing has helped, also when driving on an incline the car doesn't seem to have the power so starts slowing down, and alternatively when I'm going down a hill I can get it to 70. There is also a noise like air escaping from somewhere around the engine so I was thinking maybe a hose has split?

There's no exhaust fumes, she starts fine and other than the noise and not being able to get past 60 there doesn't seem to be anything else, apart from the shame of driving on the motorway like a Sunday driver and being overtaken by everything!

There are so many threads indicating different things but I can't find anything specific for this problem.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,639 Posts
the warning light covers many things mine is on i know its water in the system so not worried about it at the moment
its possible you have an air leak around the turbo pipes worth checking
when my turbo was playing up power was way down and going up hill i felt i could get out and walk faster
Ron

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I had something very similar on a Turbo Volvo t5.

Lots of wooshing...... No power.
Eventually I got a check engine lamp and limp home mode (top speed a painful 55 and no power at all from a 250Bhp car!)

After some searching one of the intercooler pipes had collapsed so when the engine 'sucked' the hose collapsed and couldn't breath.

Check how rigid the hoses are, check for splits / tears..... You might spot it that way.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jim,

I'll have a good look around later and maybe find something that doesn't look quite right, hopefully it'll be either of these two things and I won't get shafted at the garage because I'm a girl!

Cheers

Jo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know I finally got the car looked at and it was the turbo pipe that had completely come off, it wasn't split or anything so the mechanic popped it back on and ran a diagnostics check because I was convinced the rad fan wasn't working, all is fine and it cost me £30.

Thanks so much for your advice, it certainly helped to 'almost' look like I knew what I was talking about when I went into a main dealership and they tried to tell me it was almost certainly the EGR and would cost £200-300 :jawdropping: I pointed out the other things you said and told them I would get back to them.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts