Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you change and reset the timing on a clio 1.6 16v engine?

as in the title, ive just discovered that there appears to be no timing marks on the cams or the crank, does anyone know how to do this or know of an online manual i can quickly acces to change this?
Thanks
Rob

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
You need the locking kit to hold the crank and cams in the right place before removing the belt.The cambelt pulley isn't key wayed to the crank so it is free to spin independantly.

The tool fits into two slots in the back of the cams to hold them,and into the block to hold the crank.A new crankshaft pulley bolt must be used too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well lets say the belt has already been removed to replace the water pump, am i up a creek without a paddle?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Without the kit,I'm afraid you are.It is possible to make up a tool to lock the cams,but the crank pin is a specific length to hold the crank in exactly the right place.:(

If you look at the back of the head (the gearbox end) you'll see two rubber caps.If you prize these out carefully,you'll see the slots in the cams where the tool fits into.The crank pin fits in the block somewhere,but I can't remember exactly where....:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wel i made sure the nearest piston to the cams was at top dead centre, the two diamond symbols on the cams faced eachother
then i took off the belt, and i can see some crank markings on the air filter side of the engine where the crank spins in its holding.
i hope i dont flatten a valve :S

1 - 6 of 6 Posts