Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our '98 Clio 1.6 8V RXE since it was two years old and only 4000 miles, it has been a great car, now 45000 miles, drives as new, no corrosion just a few dings, all in all a much better proposition than a friends 2000 Yaris.

However I have noticed for some while, probably for three years or so, evidence of oil on the front of the engine behind the exhaust manifold, just a slight dampness.

We now have a couple of drips on the drive, looking under the car it is dripping off the sump plug, the lowest point, the front of the engine is now 'wetter' and it seems is slowing acumulating enough oil to run down and form a drip over time, the oil level is not noticably dropping.

I have taken the manifold heat shield off and the only place I believe the oil can be coming from is the head gasket (though I have not ruled out the cam cover) I changed the coolant about three months ago, the old was spotlessly clean despite its eight years and the new still is perfectly clean, the level is fine and the temp gauge rock steady.

I have heard of HGF on this engine, IF it is the head gasket seeping oil then any views as to whether this inevitably leads to HGF ?

Should I attend to it or just clean it up every couple of weeks ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I joined a while ago, last summer actually, I thought the forum was a good idea, just had no reason to post - until now!

Any of those techs have any thoughts?

Regards.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It could very well be the head gasket,but it is leaking oil from the oilway to the head,rather than internally.There is a rubber seal in the gasket that seals the oil way which comes from the oil pump and up to the head,after time the rubber goes hard and starts to leak.As long as you don't mind leaving the odd spot of oil on your drive,I wouldn't worry about it.I have known cars leak oil from the headgasket for years without any problems.As long as you keep the oil topped up,you should be fine.:).If it was my car,I'd drive it on!:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. I have a 96 mk1 1.6 Megane with the exact same thing as your describing. I am going to do the head gasket now as my missus is complaining of smoke from under the bonnet. I pressume when it forms a drip it then drips onto the exhaust. No noticable oil loss so am realy reluctant to do it but hey I have been told. Will let you know if it cures it or if I just induce other leaks/faults. PS any one got any top tips, I have done other head gaskets just not on meganes.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hello I used Blue Hylomar around the silicone element for the gallery oil seal in the head gasket just to be sure ... no problems, you may also want to try Wynns "oil stop leak for the first couple of oil changes after the head is done (helps with the "o" rings and neoprene seals) ... but if you check be removing the exhaust shield and looking up between cylinders 2/3 you should see the source of the leak.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well it starts and runs, that's a good thing. Seems to be holding its oil and water, let see over the next few days. Gotta get some well done beers off the wife for the day spent working on her car. Mmmmm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts