Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks
OK - I have yet another non starting clio (mk2 - 1999)
at first the fault was intermittant - it would start cold then refuse to start after a short run. I have bought another tdc sensor - 'new type' apparently but have not been able to start car with it fitted - put old one back on. Tried shorting out the inertia switch as this seemed a bit suspect. after a week of runing it with the inertia swirtch shorted and no starting failures I assumed that I had solved the problem but there was one other issue to investigate - starting after a run in the wet when the car would not start until it had dried out. I tried this after my 'trial' week and the car would not start and has failed to start ever since. I have checked and cleaned every sensor plug I can find with no success.
one interesting point is that if i by-pass the fuel pump relay the car fires for an instant then stops so it would appear that i am getting a spark and fuel but the engine management system is shutting me down

can anyone help before i get it towed to a renault dealer??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi chris - thanks for the advice but I can't see any sensors in the roof pod - all i have is the interior light and the electric sunroof control and motor. can you describe them to me please

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yes, I do have remote central locking. The car would always start from cold in the wet - it was just the re-start after a short trip that was the problem - except for the last time when it stopped and wouldn't re-start - even when dry

the inertia or 'bump' switch kills the ignition or fuel pump (not sure which)if you are in a collision. It is a red rubber covered switch by the battery which contains a spring loaded steel ball that pops out of its location on impact then has to be manually re-set

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Poo - if you have remote central locking then you must have a receiver somewhere - I would be checking that out next - have you checked the earthwires going to the engine - you could try fitting a temporary earth cable from the engine to the battery. A jump lead clamped to the metal of the engine direct to the battery may help diagnose the problem - does the remote central locking still work and does the light go out on the dash before attempting to start. In all honesty your problem seems very like the immobilser ain't switching off or an earth problem. When you switch the ignition on can you hear the fuel pump kicking in and then stop when the system is pressurised.:)
P.S. do you have a key or keycard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts