Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello experts!
Just had an MOT at kwikfit. It has failed on a few things, just wanted to check that what they are saying is true because the price is insane to fix it!

Ok, i'm just gonna write down what it failed on as it reads on the paper....

1. exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd idle excessive
2.exhaust emissions hydrocarbon content after 2nd fast idle excessive
3.exhaust emissions lambda reading 2nd fast idle outside specified limits

Ok to fix these, i am told i need a new 'cat' and the charge for this is 248 pounds....that seems extreme to me!
tis a t reg 1999 1.4. can anyone tell me if

a) the cat does need changing
b) if it should be that much?
c) would anything else alter these emissions failures? I have read about TDC sensors or something? Would that affect it? The car doesnt idle properly, dips at times and does have trouble starting.

Secondly, it failed on shock absorbers. Only one of them was an MOT fail, but both need doing for there are fluid leaks. They want to charge me 97 pounds for each shock absorber, which again seems a bit much?!

Just below this, i'm told that i need a new 4wire connector and 4wire sensor. I have no idea what this means?

Would much appreciate any help because the overall charge to get all this done comes to 495 pounds....which makes me wanna throw up

Cheers guys......if i've left anything out that is important to know, let me know and i can inform you

Once again. THANKS

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Being KF I expect the prices are supply and fit - its also possible they're ripping you off. Of course, I'd never suggest they fake an MOT :eek: ;)

97 ea for a clio shock is ... shocking. Front or back?

Presumably for £250 they're doing the whole exhaust. If it really is just the cat an indy could graft on a new one for half that amount.

Shocks parts should be no more than 25 ea. So I reckon where they've quoted for £450+ work, you should aim to half that amount. KF for emergencies only on work, like stealerships.

Cheers!

:d

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If it needs the work listed above,then to be honest the prices aren't too bad too be honest,but if you post up the full emissions readings we might be able to tell you if it needs a cat,a lambda sensor,or just a good hard run up the road.

As for the shocks,I have my own ideas on that but I'll keep them to myself as we run a no name and shame policy on the forum.:eek:

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
If it needs the work listed above,then to be honest the prices aren't too bad too be honest,but if you post up the full emissions readings we might be able to tell you if it needs a cat,a lambda sensor,or just a good hard run up the road.

As for the shocks,I have my own ideas on that but I'll keep them to myself as we run a no name and shame policy on the forum.:eek:
I have twice got cars through a re-test that have narrowly missed on emmissions by going for a blast on the motorway, what is the margin where this is possible?

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
97 ea for a clio shock is ... shocking. Front or back?

:d
You dont say which shocks need replaced, but the prices for the fronts are usually approx £40'ish each and £27'ish for the rears + fitting ... so being KF I'm not sure that sounds too bad if its a front ... did you ask if they can do it cheaper ... also ask National Tyres as a comparison ....

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Yea kwit fit are a rip off, as BP said go to an independent and get the work done for half if not less than half that price. Only go there for when they've got deals on like brake pads replaced for £15 stuff like that.

They charge over the odds for tyres too, was in desperate need to get one fitted to my mazda a few years ago just before we went away. They wanted £75 for a budget tyre, 205/55 15 inch :eek: got one at an indy for £20 :d Not even budgets for my Lag 17's cost that much at an indy!

BP is right about the shocks about £25 each bit more fro fronts. Check out euro car parts for prices.

That is pricey for a cat too. Do some hunting on the net and I'm sure you'll turn up a cat for around £50.

Just have to pay to get them fitted then.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I have twice got cars through a re-test that have narrowly missed on emmissions by going for a blast on the motorway, what is the margin where this is possible?
If the Lambda is close and the CO is below around 0.80 at fast idle,then quite often a hard run up the road will sort it out.

The biggest cause of cars failing emissions tests are the testers carrying out the MOT.If the emissions test is done at the beginning of the test,then the engine often isn't warmed up properly so the cat isn't functioning efficiently.If a car fails the initial emissions test,then the second part should only be carried out once the engine oil temperature reaches a certain point,but many testers by pass this as they can't be bothered to remove the dipstick and put the temperature probe in!.If the emissions test is done after the rest of the MOT,then quite often the car has been left to idle for quite some time,and the system doesn't have enough time to clear it's self whilst the emissions test is being done.

A 10 minute hard drive would sort out a car that had failed because of the above reasons,and it will also bring the CO down on a car that does a lot of short journeys or one that doesn't get driven hard on a regular basis.

Of course sometimes the Lambda sensors and the cats are faulty and do need replacing,but many times it is not neccessary.

Just as an aside,I would steer clear of cheap cats,especially if it is on a car with a sensor after the cat.The second sensor is there to check on the efficiency of the cat,and many cheap ones are....uhm....how do I put it politely.....not very good :)d) and can throw up a fault in the management system.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
agree re k/fit i had a clio 3weeks ago same sort of readings had a faulty lamda sensor universal lamda app 35pounds or proper one app60-70 pounds go to independant garage as the others say to dear on cats & shocks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheers guys. didnt expect that sort of return!

wow guys thank you so much for all your help.

ive spent all of the weekend trying to get the price down.

now i need to know what to do next.

OK, i took it to a mechanic who was actually a mechanic, and found out that you can get better than a kwikfit fitter.lol

It turned out to be a lambda sensor that was faulty.

ALSO HEAR THIS! one of my springs on the same side as the bust shockabsorber was BROKEN! and it didnt get at all mentioned in the MOT.
Should i be going to kwikfit and having a tare up?

My mechanic said this can be life threatening.

I was getting ripped off for the shocks to, so i reckon i should be demanding some money back shouldnt i? Surely they could lose their MOT license for what they've done to me??

OK, so LAMBDA sensor, 2 new front shocks, springs trimmed down came to just over 200 pounds is that better?

I'm not name dropping kwikfit, but errrrrrr i am. THEY are ****. DONT EVER GO THERE!

Once again, thanks for all your help guys.....
I just know monday is gonna be stressful.

I am new, sorry if i broke any rules.

james

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
springs trimmed down
james

Do you mean the springs are to be cutdown to remove the broken section ...? :eek:

This is a road car ... correct ? ... Seriously not a good idea in my book ... is it even legal/roadworthy that the springs are now out-of-spec ... TBH ... safer in my book to replace them.

Only my opinion :eek:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If you haven't had the car repaired,then look on the back of the failure sheet for the appeals number.

And I agree with TB,if your new 'mechanic' has trimmed down the springs,then he deserves to be reported too.....and in any case,a spring that has been cut down will (or at least SHOULD) fail an MOT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'll have to ask what has actually been done.

he may have just done it to save a few pounds for the time being, i will ask tho, since ive just read HORROR stories about cutting springs....

looks like im gonna be replacing them tho right?

this is becoming a nightmare.....

at least the emissions are all sorted now.

to have the LAMBDA sensor replaced aswell as 2 shock absorbers PLUS labour, what should i realisticly be paying?

thanks once again....i love getting good info.

james

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The price you'll pay depends on so many factors to be honest,I'd be tempted to phone round you local garages and get detailed quotes.

I'd definately ask your 'mechanic' if he's repaired the car yet,and if not,report the MOT station to VOSA.You'll soon find out just what your car is like in reality as they will retest it and if anything serious (like a broken spring) is found,the poo will hit the rotating air mover.:d

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Whoa. Cut down springs? Good lord no! Springs really are not all that expensive maybe 20 to 30 each. If the guy has cut them down I can't see why as I can see it would've been easier to fit new ones :confused:

Well Ihope you sort ot all out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is having 2 coils cut to the same height worse than having one broken one, which is what i would have had if it hadnt have been pointed out?

cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts