Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi if this is in the wrong section please tell me where to move it to?

Ok well my mums Renault same reg as this pic i found (ive attached it) its not her car but looks 100% same plus the reg

anyway she broke down at around 20-30mph

AA said it was a cambelt break

well the car has been sitting for like 6 months :crazy:

well im here for just over a week (could i do it?????)

ive only ever changed brake pads lol lol

well basiclly i was wondering how much money would i save her if i do it? and if i can do it in just over a week?

would someone guide me (i can start tomorrow)

i can take pics with my mobile etc

dnt have a garage can this be done outside (weathers not bad lately)

please reply i want to start tomorrow if i can get support from someone whos confident they know how to do the job and guide me through i'll always take pics

if im right from a lil googling

i need to drain coolant
then take off loads of leads:crazy::crazy::crazy:
then camshaft cover
then camhead
then i need a tool to take out valves (all im not sure)
check somehow if bent
then rifit
and then TDC ahhhhhh wouldnt have a clue
then fit new timing belt (when timing set correct)
then tensioner and idler

i really want to do it
if someone thinks i can
and if its doable to someone with no car knowledge to do in about a week
with someone guiding me through it on here of cause

thanks all
Bret

thanks Renault community

Attachments

R

·
0 Posts
You need to find out exactly which engine you have as there a big difference between an 8 valve and 16 valve engine.

I would imagine that you are going to have valve damage and your going to need to remove the cylinder head.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to find out exactly which engine you have as there a big difference between an 8 valve and 16 valve engine.

I would imagine that you are going to have valve damage and your going to need to remove the cylinder head.
its 1.2 8valve just checked

its a 1.2 clio grande same as pic i attached

im thinking just to get it fixed as i only have a week to do it?

how much will it cost if only a few valves have bent?

im in berkshire anyone know a good cheap place to get it fixed?

DNT GET ME WRONG ILL DO IT IF ITS DOABLE IN AROUND 1 WEEK
AND IF THEIRS A CHEAP PLACE FOR ALL THE PARTS
ALL I KNOW OF IS EUROCARPARTS

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry I don't know anything about the Renault 8 valve engines all the ones I have repaired so far have been 16 valve.

These people are pretty good on price I have used them several times for engine spares and gaskest http://www.trechii.com

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I don't know anything about the Renault 8 valve engines all the ones I have repaired so far have been 16 valve.

These people are pretty good on price I have used them several times for engine spares and gaskest http://www.trechii.com
thanks are they cheaper than eurocarparts?

and cheaper than most places??

also wouldn't the fix method be the same for a 8 valve (just less valves?)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The 16 valve engine valve timing is entirely different and is more time consuming.

Unless you have the cylinder head removed you'll not know exactly wht parts are required. Mostly it's about 4 valves that get bent but I have also seen cases where the valves have holed the pistons.
Yank the cylinder head of first and take it from there.
Even of some of the valves don't appear to be bent you'll need to do a paraffin test to check they are sealing correctly.

As you are working to a strict time-table sourcing parts locally be a better option.:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The 16 valve engine valve timing is entirely different and is more time consuming.

Unless you have the cylinder head removed you'll not know exactly wht parts are required. Mostly it's about 4 valves that get bent but I have also seen cases where the valves have holed the pistons.
Yank the cylinder head of first and take it from there.
Even of some of the valves don't appear to be bent you'll need to do a paraffin test to check they are sealing correctly.

As you are working to a strict time-table sourcing parts locally be a better option.:)
oooops do you mean get parts from eurocarparts (localish)as the other place ( http://www.trechii.com) isnt delivering until after the 8th?

or mean take it in to be fixed?

ps how do i delete a old thread? (as i have a double of this i posted ages ago???) that i want to delete

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have just done this job on an 8valve clio, took me the best part of two days and the parts came to a little over a £100 from Trechii The company recomended in the link above.
You will need, Head gasket set, new head bolts, new valves, oil, coolant and a new cambelt.
On the one i did i replaced all the valves although only 6 were bent.
However you do need to be good with a spanner and have a reasonable range of tools and knowledge.
Im a novice with Renaults, reasonably competant with most vehicles and wizz with Landrovers, however we all have to start somewhere, why not buy the parts and pay a mobile mechanic to help you, that way you will learn

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have just done this job on an 8valve clio, took me the best part of two days and the parts came to a little over a £100 from Trechii The company recomended in the link above.
You will need, Head gasket set, new head bolts, new valves, oil, coolant and a new cambelt.
On the one i did i replaced all the valves although only 6 were bent.
However you do need to be good with a spanner and have a reasonable range of tools and knowledge.
Im a novice with Renaults, reasonably competant with most vehicles and wizz with Landrovers, however we all have to start somewhere, why not buy the parts and pay a mobile mechanic to help you, that way you will learn
ok my mums going to buy another car while i work on this (so i have alot more time to do it)
anyway i want to delete my account and start again on here (as i did double posts etc)

anyway is trechii the cheapest place going?

OK WHAT IM WANTING TO DO

as im no mechanic but i am very practical minded (like when i look at something i kinda recon i know how it functions inside, if you get me(only changed brake pads though lol)
i was wondering if i started a new thread
if people would help me do the fix (ricky hint hint lol:d and others)

basically will start this monday
i think i know how but need to make sure
so help please
anyone willing to help/guide me through it?

i will take pics with my phone if needed through the process

also is their a guide on how to use this forum
i find it pretty hard to use (never used a forum in my life)

·
Registered
41 Posts
"anyway is trechii the cheapest place going?"
i got no complaints with them quality, price and delivery all appear good.
Now for the bad news:( i think you may be taking on too much. Enthusiasm is great but dont let it cloud the difficulty of what your proposing.
For a start have you got the correct tools? you need torque wrench, angle gauge, valve compressor,valve lapping tool and paste, + all the routine tools such as socket sets, screwdrivers and the like.
If you are determined to have a go, at least buy a haynes manual. Forums are great for confirming minor details, or getting someone elses opinion but its not ideal to talk a novice through taking the top half of his engine off , then as if that wasnt difficult enough you will need to strip that down further to replace damaged components.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
"anyway is trechii the cheapest place going?"
i got no complaints with them quality, price and delivery all appear good.
Now for the bad news:( i think you may be taking on too much. Enthusiasm is great but dont let it cloud the difficulty of what your proposing.
For a start have you got the correct tools? you need torque wrench, angle gauge, valve compressor,valve lapping tool and paste, + all the routine tools such as socket sets, screwdrivers and the like.
If you are determined to have a go, at least buy a haynes manual. Forums are great for confirming minor details, or getting someone elses opinion but its not ideal to talk a novice through taking the top half of his engine off , then as if that wasnt difficult enough you will need to strip that down further to replace damaged components.
does this explain every thing need doing (http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13312&highlight=cambelt+snap)

if so i think ill just copy it

well i have a few tools, torque wrench etc from when i stripped and rebuilt
a piaggio typhoon scooter years ago

so hopefully with a lil help i could do this i think

well i want to start tomorrow

before i do is their a easy way to know if its 100% the cambelt snapped? and isnt their a way of testing for valve bent without takeing top of engine, like a compression test maybe?

p.s where the cheapest place to but tools?
as going to need some e torx bits
and buy the valve compressor
obviously only need cheap tools as only will
be used once in a while

p.s the car has been sitting outside broke for nearly a year (will any of the petrol turned to gunk and buggered it more oh ohhhhhh)

oh and ive got the haynes manual BUT it doesnt show anything about cambelt break
so im guessing i would have to like ummm just follow the guide i posted
or use the haynes manual somehow

D

·
0 Posts
Machine mart are pretty good for tools, either that or northern tools.
As for the angle gauge, you can get away without it as the final tightening is 270 degrees (from memory) which is 3/4 of a turn. Once you line up with something it's pretty easy to work out 3/4 of a turn!

·
Registered
37 Posts
To check and see if the belt has snapped pull off the black cap on the left hand engine mounting, you can then put your finger in and see if the belt is still on the pulley. My belt has also snapped the other day 52 plate clio with 50k on the clock it's also an 8v.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To check and see if the belt has snapped pull off the black cap on the left hand engine mounting, you can then put your finger in and see if the belt is still on the pulley. My belt has also snapped the other day 52 plate clio with 50k on the clock it's also an 8v.
do you mean take of the wheel then
crankshaft pully then the whole plastic cambelt cover?

if so i know that

or do you mean i can just undo the top section and bend it back to check?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
before i do is their a easy way to know if its 100% the cambelt snapped? and isnt their a way of testing for valve bent without takeing top of engine, like a compression test maybe?
If someone has confirmed a snapped belt, I'd take their word on this.

Also, a compression test can only be performed on an engine which turns over - if the belt's snapped, this can't happen.

HTH

Paul

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If someone has confirmed a snapped belt, I'd take their word on this.

Also, a compression test can only be performed on an engine which turns over - if the belt's snapped, this can't happen.

HTH

Paul
that'swhat i kinda mean

i mean imagine if i took it apart and the valves were ok?

i dnt know a lot about cars

but what i mean is wouldn't it be best
to reset the timing put the belt on

then see if its ok somehow?

and then if its not then i know it needs stripping down

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
The danger in that thinking is that you go to that expense & effort, then because some valves are damaged, cause more damage to the head or the pistons when turning it over.

It can then escalate from new valves, to pretty much a full stripdown & rebuild.

Paul

1 - 20 of 197 Posts