Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, I'v had a search of the FAQ's, but i can't seem to find an answer.

I have a Clio 2, with the 1.9DTi engine (X REG).

Whilst all the electronics work in the car, i seem to be having problems with the lights, mainly the indicators.

Firstly, every time i press the brake pedal, the rear fog light indicator on the dash board lights up, then goes of when i take my foot off the brake pedal.

Secondly, The indicators work, however, when i indicate and then press the break pedal to slow down the indicators sometimes go off, almost as if they have frozen. Once i take the foot off the brake pedal they then start to flash again.

Finally, when i have my headlights on in the dark, the rear indicators do not work!. Instead, all the lights flash, including the break lights, almost like i have put on the hazard warning lights.

The problem seems to be with the rear lights as the front ones seem to be ok. I've removed the rear light cluster and had a fiddle and a dust down with a dry cloth, but this hasn't solved the problem.

Could anyone recommend a possible solution? I am clueless to the cause and the solution.

Finally and i apologise as its off topic for this section, but when is the cambelt to be replaced on the 1.9Dti engine?

Many thanks for your help and comments in advance.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
It does sound like the connections at the rear light clusters are faulty or their earths are poor. Ideally you need a test lamp and a multi-meter to fully check them out. It's not unusual for the connectors to get corroded or loose. It can be time consuming and fiddly though.

The timing belt should be changed either at 60K miles or 5 years whichever comes first.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnks for the response. After doing some more research, it seems to be the earthing problem, which many others have suffered.

I'm not technical at all, would it be best taking out the rear lights and giving all the connecters a squirt of WD4)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More help please (With pics)

A bit more help if i may please.......

I've cleaned up all the connectors and bulbs, but that hasn't worked so....

...Where will i find the wire that is earthed and where is it earthed to the car?

In addition, it's raised a couple of extra questions.

On the passenger side rear light there is a bulb missing. As you can see below. Could this be the cause? It's the bulb at the bottom of the cluster, what light is this for?

Also being the passenger side rear light there is a wire not connecting to anything, could anyone confirm what this is. A pic of the wire is below:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
It's not unusual to have an empty bulb holder on the rear left cluster. It normally carries the fog light bulb for left-hand drive cars.

To check the earth ideally you wull need a multimeter to check which cable is earth and also test for continuity.

If you look at each bulb holder all will have a contact which is common to all - follow the route around the metal layout.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts