Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just noticed after a few months of owning this car that the steering lock doesn't work.

Starts fine, but it seems that the return spring inside doesn't work, it doesn't click when you take the key out. Steering doesn't lock.

Ideally I'd just like to repair it, does anyone have any tips, diagrams, ideas? Can I just replace the spring and all is good? Or Ian it masking a bigger problem?

Normally I'm not bothered by this but I understand it's an MOT fail nowadays? Sounds crazy but what do I know, eh?

Don't want to spend loads as it's not really worth anything just need to get it through the MOt!

Thanks in advance!

Renault Clio 2
2003 1.2 dynamique

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,667 Posts
Check before stripping, take the key out, and turn the steering wheel, full lock each way.
Could have had a new rack. or column on, and its not been fitted in the straight ahead position..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I tried that but not luck...

I think it's connected to the barrel, as when you normally take a key out, you get a little click and it's a pin that slides into place that activates the steering lock. So was going to take it out, strip it down and refurbish it or get a vehicle locksmith to sort it.

As it's probably a spring, famous last words I guess, How hard can it be?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,667 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts