Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've got a problem with my Clio MkII 1.2 which is annoying me.

It doesn't do this all the time but probably once on every journey.

When I am slowing down to a junction or lights and press the clutch in just before I stop the revs just drop and the car cuts out.

Sometimes it kicks back in but most of the time it just dies.

What can this be!?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mike

Have you resolved this issue?

I'm experiencing the same. I drive 2001 1.4 8v clio.

This only happens when the engine is cold.

If I press the clutch at any stage the revs drops down and the engine dies.

I have cleaned the Coolant sensor on the engine.

I will do the throttle body this afternoon and see if that fixes it, but not to optimistic as this only happens when cold.

Anything else I should look at?

Regards
Carl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

So I cleaned the throttle body. Not to difficult to take out.

I can only test every morning as it only happens when the engine is cold. So took it for a drive and no stall!!!

This is only the first day after, will test again tomorrow morning.

Something to mention, not sure if it has any impact on the problem.

My son came to have a look on what I was doing and he pressed the red button next to the battery. A button is like a magnet for kids.

Not sure what it resets and what the purpose is.

If anyone knows, please feel free to post some info.

Cheers
Carl

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Glad the issue seems to be rectified. From a quick Google it seems that the idle control valve on these engines might be located in/as part of the throttle body, or the throttle is motorised and does this job on its own on later models, according to Haynes. Either way, you may have inadvertently cleaned the valve when you cleaned the throttle.

That red button in the engine bay sounds like a fuel cut off switch.

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
That red button in the engine bay sounds like a fuel cut off switch.
I know it as an inertia kill switch. There to kill the fuel pump in case of an accident. Our Mk1 Ph2 wouldn't start after a clutch change. Seems we must have [email protected] it with the socket set whilst mechanicing. One press & away it went. Pressing it when not tripped will have no effect whatsoever.
HTH

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
I know it as an inertia kill switch. There to kill the fuel pump in case of an accident. Our Mk1 Ph2 wouldn't start after a clutch change. Seems we must have [email protected] it with the socket set whilst mechanicing. One press & away it went. Pressing it when not tripped will have no effect whatsoever.
HTH
You must have WHAT!!:eek::moonie::d;)

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
usually it's when you take the battery tray out. It's a tilt switch so if it goes through 90 degrees or so (don't know exactly) it gets triggered. Found this out by accident some years back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts