Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ive had a problem with my 2002 1.2 clio, I had 2x keyfobs, and only 1 started the car even tho the red light always flashed on the dash, this key didnt unlocked the central locking so I went to halfords to change the keyfob battery and now the car wont start, where it did before,

1. Taking the bettery off the car for 1 hr to see if it resets.
2. Holding the button on the keyfob etc for 10 seconds,
3. Holding the cental locking button while the key is in the ignition but not turned.

dont really know what to try now but everyone is saying the key must be reprogrammed at renault with the car and costs £45, the car has always started but used to cut out sometimes when there wasnt much fuel in the tank and you stopped in traffic, any ideas??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive herd that they key holds a code electronically and when you take the battery out you loose it, its what everyones telling me. the key always had a broken button that was always loose, but worked fine, we have even had a mobile phone repair shop soldier the button back on and it still doesnt work

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
early type keys had a micro chip in the key which could fall out when the key was opend, there were replaced in 2000-2001 with circuit board type, neither require battery to start car the car, only early clio1, megane and laguna which required the doors to unlocked via remote to unlock immobiliser

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well nothing fell out and it started perfectly before we took the battery out of the key fob and that was without using the central locking button, my car is a 2002 that has the orange transponder that holds the immobliser code, ive been told by the stealer once the battery is taken out the fob for longer than 1 minute it resets and you loose the code

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well my spare key never started the car tho otherwise id be ok, having opened the key up it looks like someone tried bodging that 1 with solder so may of damaged it, it always opened the car doors tho just never started it, what you think the best thing to do is?? get 1 of these companys to put 1 of these things on the obd that bypasses the immobliser then will just start with my existing key all the time?? instead of wasting £45 trying to get renault to re program the key??

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I do not think these can be bypassed, if you have the 6 digit keycode number from the front of the service book, a independent locksmith may be able to re sync keys, but have you ruled out the possibility that something else has not gone wrong. coincidences do happen. You try disconnect car battery and reconnect, just in case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hello all i can see in the front of the service book is a 8 digit number that says: IGNITION KEY NO: PMNRPP65 under that theres a space that says DOOR KEY NUMBER: AND SUPP KEY NUMBER: which are both blank, ive herd that theres a way of sending yr ECU OFF to a company and they keys and they will repram it to bypass the immoblisier, ive tried today a few combinations that are started on this forum like holding the button in and starting and nothing happens, any ideas??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just flashes normally every second, and when i try starting nothing happens but the light flashes a lot quicker, so the car is fully immobilised isnt it??

how do i get the cars key code then?? i know with vauxhalls you have to pay the dealer £20 for a card, ive looked in my service book and cant see it anywhere

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
the key number should be the 8 digit one you mentioned before although I am confused as to why the service book does not shows the other number, 8 digit means you have the later style key, where are you based

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah ive got the 8 digit number in the book and the door key and supp key number are both blank, says the factory type no: CB05CF dunno if thats any good, im based on the Isle of Wight near portsmouth, what do you think i should do?? is there any point taking to renault and getting them to re program the keys for £45??? if u could give me any advice my numbers 07940 836 103 may be better to give me a call or text me i will ring u back, im really confused

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
45 quid is cheap for renault, most independent will charge you more than that, I would get them to do it then at least they could give you any fault codes relating to the event, also the spare key may be programmable if has been omitted from previous key coding's as this stops them from working

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello ive had a problem with my 2002 1.2 clio, I had 2x keyfobs, and only 1 started the car even tho the red light always flashed on the dash, this key didnt unlocked the central locking so I went to halfords to change the keyfob battery and now the car wont start, where it did before,

1. Taking the bettery off the car for 1 hr to see if it resets.
2. Holding the button on the keyfob etc for 10 seconds,
3. Holding the cental locking button while the key is in the ignition but not turned.

dont really know what to try now but everyone is saying the key must be reprogrammed at renault with the car and costs £45, the car has always started but used to cut out sometimes when there wasnt much fuel in the tank and you stopped in traffic, any ideas??
hi try this run a wire from negative on the battyer to ant metal part on the engine and start the car

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what and you think that will work?? as maybe the earth strap is broken or rusty etc?? do you loose the code for the key if you take the battery out of the feyfob for a few minutes you think??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hello just tried that earth thing and nothing, weird why the car dont even turn over, some people say it should and others say it shouldnt, think tyhe older 99 plates did turn over but the newer 1s didnt just the light flashes faster when you try to start it.

Gonna take to renualt tmz and even they have conflicting stories, some of them are saying you wouldnt loose the key codes when u swap a battery others are saying you will, god this is a joke, why are french cars not simple

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ho, this is my first post but any help would be great :d, I had a new battery last week, and now my immobiliser seems to be playing up the car just turns over and doesn't fire. So I took itto the garage today and they plugged it into the computer and say it's the ignition transponder which needs replacing £200. I have googled about the transponder and it comes up about keys? Anyone had the same problem? Don't know what to do, I may ring the Renault dealer tomorrow and see what there advice is. It's a Clio 1.2 mk2 thanks Tara:confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that may be the same as my problem, the transponder is in the ignition barrel i think and recognises the code in the key to make the car start, ive herd theres companies that can make u a EPROM to put in yr OBD socket to bypass the immobiliser, you can either send them yr ECU and they do it through that or get them the key code from renault and give them that over the phone and they send you the eprom, which will make the car always start and mean you never have problems with yr immoliser or ignition transponder, im gonna find out the details on that tmz from a private car electronics expert.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.