Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the location of the front wiper relay, could someone listen to see if they hear a relay click when the front wipers are turned on.

My front wipers are not working and I cannot hear a relay contact when I turn them on, I can hear a relay click when I turn on the rear wipers and the noise comes from underneath the glove box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same problem. I had a diagnostic test done and the message that came up was ' refer to dealer!! If anyone has an answer i would appreciate it.

Parknamore1

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am having the same problem. I had a diagnostic test done and the message that came up was ' refer to dealer!! If anyone has an answer i would appreciate it.

Parknamore1
There are two relay plates fitted on the passenger side glove box area have a listen whilst someone turns the wipers on and you will hopeful find it and just remove and re seat it a couple of times might work

Cheers Dan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed the glove box and found that the relay to the rear wiper can be heard inside a black electronic box labeled BCM L2CR it looks likes the rear relay is an integral part of this box, I guess that the front relay is also in this box but activating the front wiper switch does not make a noise from anywhere, not brave enough to delve inside as it looks like it contols a lot of other stuff including central door locking.
Presently I have removed the plug from the wiper motor and fed +12v on pin 4* via a 20 amp inline fuse and ran an earth line from pin 1 through the bulhead where the heater pipes pass to a rocker switch and then to earth..
you have to park the wipers manually by pressing the switch at the correct time but this is very easy to do.
I know this is a cobble but at least I can drive the car now.
*Pin 4 will give you normal speed, pin5 will give you fast speed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all your replies, i had to put it into the garage and was told it was the wiper motor! have to replace at a cost of €450.00. not a good start to 2010!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A new motor costs £164 +VAT I know because I asked on Saturday and got a quote from 6 Renault dealers they all also offered a 10% discount when asked, they are incredibly easy to change you only have to remove the plastic covers off the nuts of the wiper arms, undo remove the nuts, I found that placing a pair of mole grips on the top of the thread (nut removed) and on the underside of the wiper arm they sprung off.
The top panel that clips off from the front after removing the rubber strip, another panel underneath that clips off.
Undo 2 x 10mm (spanner size) bolts and 1x 13mm (spanner size) nut and the motor is free, remove from well beneath the screen (take care not to hit lower part of windscreen as it looks a bit vulnerable and undo wiring connector.

After refitting you just have to bolt the arm to the motor after it has run once and has "parked" bolt on the connecting arm (13mm nut) making sure that this will position the wipers as low as they will go.
Anyone taking more than an hour to complete this job is overcharging; I could remove and replace a motor in less than 1/2 hour.

I asked 1st Choice for a second hand motor and received this reply:

You have received the following quote:

1st Choice ID/REF No: 3009021

PLEASE CALL SUPPLIER DIRECT:

FOR MORE DETAILS/TO ORDER CALL: CIT-REN LTD (5*) - 08718 753549 (10p per min/more from mobiles)

EMAIL: [email protected]
Please call between 9am to 5pm Mon to Fri & 10am-1pm Sat

RENAULT CLIO DYNAMIQUE S DCI 86 3 DOOR HATCHBACK 1461cc (31-03-2006) DIESEL RegNo.: ********Deleted
WIPER MOTOR: £30 1months guarantee [Used]

Delivery: £10.00

VAT: £7.00

Total price: £47.00 (Inc. Delivery & VAT)

FOR MORE DETAILS/TO ORDER CALL: CIT-REN LTD (5*) - 08718 753549 (10p per min/more from mobiles)

You are welcome to contact them and purchase the one they offered me as I already have found a replacement motor.

I still have problem that is either the relay or the control stick on the steering column.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have just spoken to a very helpful mechanic who works for Renault, I told him what I have already checked and he gave me some useful information.

He told me there is a UPC module that is placed too the right of the battery box, removing the 2 screws that hold the lid on this box reveals a more fuses that the user manual does not mention, incling one for the front screen wipers, he also told me that this box also sufers from water ingress and they have had to replace a few units because the box fills with water as the drain holes in this box sometimes block allowing water to build up inside.
Sounds Familiar.......Maybe the new Clio should only be used in dry climates!

When the weather breaks I will remove the cover and check the fuses inside also check that the electronics inside are not submersed in water.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed at last......
The problem was initially caused by water in the well submersing the wiper motor, combined with freezing weather the motor itself was stuck fast and then would not work, you could also have a problem without freezing as the motor will rust up and seize having the same effect.
I fixed it by cleaning out the offending drains, replacing the motor and more importantly replacing a hidden 20 amp fuse in the UPC box too the right of the battery, acess is gained by removing two torx screws at the top and removing the tp plastic panel, other fuses are also inside just a pity it does not mention this fuse panel in the user manual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for this thread, yesterday my wipers were intermittently working and then totally stopped working, every now & then if i fiddled with the wiper stalk enough they would slightly kick in, but kept cutting out.

I took the motor out as it was sitting in a lot of water, unbelieveable how much water builds up in there!

I opened up the motor & it seems all clean in there, slightly damp, the electrical connector block was quite wet though from the water sloshing about, but no rust to be seen anywhere

I've ordered a new motor from 1st choice which i should receive tomorrow, im just worried it wasn't the motor & is the wiper stalk cutting in & out, all the yellow 20amp fuses in the UPC box are fine, so gotta be the motor or the stalk right?

Appreciate any advice...
(also on a side note since checking the connection in the stalk & taking the motor out the washers have stopped working - front & rear)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone know the OEM number for the front wiper relay pls?

I have a similar problem - my wipers were working intermittently with the blades becoming stuck in the centre of the cycle, then stopped and gave up the ghost altogether. Having established the fuse located under the steering wheel and beside the battery were AOK i got the advice of a local mechanic who told me it was most likely the wiper motor, relay or wiper stalk, so I picked a used motor the breakers, but to no avail as the same problem still exists, however, there was a lot of water due to blocked drain bungs, which I fixed.

As a process of elimination, I intend changing the wiper relay next. Does anyone know the part number / OEM for the front wiper relay please? Also any help identifying the front wiper relay would be much appreciated - I'm not that technical, but don't mind getting my hands dirty so long as my nails stay intact....

Any help much appreciated as I don't want to buy the wrong part.....
Thanks
Barbara

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,624 Posts
Barbara, is it a Clio 3? See sketch if so, relays are built into the front fusebox so would be an utter pest to change unless you were very handy with a soldering iron. I would check for water ingress into the fusebox and also re-check the connecting plug to the motor as it may have been damaged by the water in the scuttle. Clio 3 Water ingress into UPC engine fusebox
Best WB

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Barbara, is it a Clio 3? See sketch if so, relays are built into the front fusebox so would be an utter pest to change unless you were very handy with a soldering iron. I would check for water ingress into the fusebox and also re-check the connecting plug to the motor as it may have been damaged by the water in the scuttle. Clio 3 Water ingress into UPC engine fusebox
Best WB
Hi Wyn,
Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated!.
Yes the car is a clio 3. I'll double check the motor connection plug tomorrow and have another look at the fusebox for any obvious defects.
From the diagram you kindly posted it looks like I will be able to check whether the motor works by connecting it directly to the 12v car battery as follows:
  • pin 1 (black wire) to the cars chasis
  • pin 4 (colour unknown, but not green) to positive = test low speed
  • pin 5 (orange wire) to positive = test high speed
If my thought process is correct, this should establish whether the motor is receiving power.

I will also borrow a volt meter tomorrow from a neighbour and check whether power is being supplied to pins 1, 4 and 5.

Today I bought a second hand wiper stalk on ebay for £20 and will replace the old stalk in an attempt to rule a defective wiper switch out, and hope it fixes the problem, although I'm not hopeful as it seems highly likely the water in the scuttle has probably caused the issue, but for £20 it seemed a good idea to rule this out.

I don't have a soldering iron, although I have used one before, albeit many years ago. If the above doesn't identify the fault, by the process of elimination, it sounds like the next step would be to buy a used fusebox. There are two (one below the steering inside the car, and the other next to the battery). To clarify, when you refer to the relay being in the 'front fusebox', do you mean the one near the steering column as indicated at the top of this thread? I can see a number of relays behind this fusebox under thedash behind the steering wheel, I just dont know which is for the front wipers - hopefully my ebay purchase of a used 'haynes manual' will arrive soon and provide more info regarding this

Would you agree with my working and process here i.e. eliminating the cheapest possible causation first?

I've now read some scary stories about people with similar problems - one person spent over £1000 in garages attempting to fix a very similar issue, and ended up breaking the car when the problem persisted / returned and therefore wouldn't get through an MOT test.

Thankyou again.

Best wishes
Barbara

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,624 Posts
Barbara, almost everything that controls the wipers is in the engine fusebox (UPC), all the column switch does is send a pulse via CAN from its module, on to the UCH (cabin fusebox) and on to the UPC, this sends a signal to the relay(s) in the UPC to swich on/off the wipers as requested. Although you can swop the UPC it might not work properly unless it has been configured for the same engine as yours. Changing the UCH would have to be done with the engine control unit and ignition key as a set so don't go there. Checking for power on the circuit is useful but to find the fault the wipers would have to have stopped mid cycle to confirm that the low speed pin (for example) on its connecting plug is still live, which would point to the motor if the earth connection on the plug is good. Best WB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Wyn, thanks again for the response. I finally solved this issue, but not before changing the wiper motor (for a second hand one) removing the UCH (to check for any water ingress), and changing the wiper stem. Having not solved the issue I eventually went back to the beginning and put 12v DC across the motor as per your diagram, and neither the original or the second hand replacement worked, so I returned the second hand motor and bought a new one (again off ebay), which thankfully did the trick.

Thanks for your help and support in resolving this.

With best wishes and kind regards
Barbara

1 - 14 of 14 Posts