Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I noticed the headlight bulb wasn't working, so I tapped the outside glass, and it came on!
Next day, same thing happened!
What could be causing this?
Video:

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,809 Posts
Could be a poor connection or if that's a filament bulb, the filament could be broken and dangling in space. A tap gets it swinging and it reconnects, for a while.

·
Super mod..
30,096 Posts
And you have only just had the front off the other day.. oh well keep you out of mischief.. :censored:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And you have only just had the front off the other day.. oh well keep you out of mischief.. :censored:
Yes, and it looks like I'll have to take the front off again to replace the bulb!
:mad:
Just checked on eBay and these are of course the expensive projector-beam units with cornering lights as well, cost more than the car will soon be worth ...!

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
surely it only takes a H7 bulb @ £10 or a D2S @ £28

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
pretty sure it's the bulb, seen it a lot in my time in trade

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pretty sure it's the bulb, seen it a lot in my time in trade
Ok, thank you; went to Halfords on my way home today, headlight bulbs purchased. Will put them in at the weekend if it doesn't rain.
Forgot to by a sidelight 501 bulb, it would make sense to put in a new one of those once the bumper is off ...

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
the 501 may be a blessing in disguise my scenic is listed as 501 sidelights but actually has halogen BAX9S H6W 433C 434 6W , there are different versions pin arrangements and wattages, so best to take out to check

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the 501 may be a blessing in disguise my scenic is listed as 501 sidelights but actually has halogen BAX9S H6W 433C 434 6W , there are different versions pin arrangements and wattages, so best to take out to check
Ok, thank you for the advice, I'll double check what's in ours .

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be a poor connection or if that's a filament bulb, the filament could be broken and dangling in space. A tap gets it swinging and it reconnects, for a while.
Brendan W, You're spot on! I took the bulb out today and here it is, the filament centre section had broken off and was rolling around inside the glass. Tapping the unit must have started it arcing across the gap!
Automotive lighting Auto part Automotive exterior Font Personal care

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New bulbs all in now. A good two hours work if you include coffee breaks and time for cursing the designer for the way these things are put together!
Hood Car Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Super mod..
30,096 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
with my grand scenic i can get front off, bulbs replaced and on again in under 45mins easily with a cuppa, have had 3x GS mk.2's though .....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts