Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew ours had some rust, but this bit was a surprise. This (rusty) upright strut doesn't seem to be supplied with the eBay £75 replacement jobs. Does anyone know how to get hold of one? I'm hoping the star bolts come undone, but I'd agree they look a bit seized.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Phil, looks like I need part 5 and 4 x 14s.
Part 4 is rusty also, but a pain to fit as you need to undo the suspension unit,

·
Super mod..
30,096 Posts
Thank you Phil, looks like I need part 5 and 4 x 14s.
Part 4 is rusty also, but a pain to fit as you need to undo the suspension unit,
Was hoping I could captur <<< a part number or two for you that would make finding the parts you need easier..

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,762 Posts
Is the front subframe ok,
If you buy a GENUINE SUBFRAME FROM RENAULT, no holes for that plate to bolt onto
AND the worse part is, they will supply you that part, ( For a Fee ) when you order the subframe off them
SO shady Main agents .

EBAY subframes DO NOT COME with holes for that plate to fit to
JUST letting you know as been caught out from main agents

AND have fitted subframes bought off ebay
BOTH * Ebay and genuine ) dont come with these holes for the plates ( Number 5 ) to bolt on

• Wow
Reactions: Phil48

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the front subframe ok,
If you buy a GENUINE SUBFRAME FROM RENAULT, no holes for that plate to bolt onto
AND the worse part is, they will supply you that part, ( For a Fee ) when you order the subframe off them

BOTH * Ebay and genuine ) dont come with these holes for the plates ( Number 5 ) to bolt on
^ ^ That's odd. Is this vertical plate an extra just for automatics I wonder.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,762 Posts
Think they must have decided its not needed

I mentioned this on here a couple of years ago, was well miffed
The subframe was 3 times price of ebay
ordered one plate as only one needed
Fit subframe no holes, rang and parts bloke said thats how they are
Mentioned the plate ( Ordered at same time ) he didn't have an answer , just we had ordered the plate , and we had to pay for the parts before they would order them

NO difference between an auto and manual
Its also a crash barrier, and there has to be a gap between front and rear (of the Front subframes )i

Reactions: Phil48

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I was always under the impression it's nothing more than a guard for the rotation of belts and pulleys from mud water sticks and stones . my 3 scenics have them in various degrees of solidness lol.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today's job, and pleased with result. Jacked up, removed wheel and wheel arch liner, liberal use of freeing oil on the bolts :) and three of them undid with no drama.... but the fourth one (nearest the rust) oh dear, the rust had effectively joined the bolt to the plate! Eventually did it by ripping off most of the plate and wrapping the rusty remains around the bolt, so I could get mole grips on it. Big thank you to Phil48 for the exploded diagram in his earlier post [#2], that helped me understand what I had to do.
Painted the frame with rust paint & Hammerite; new plate on, sorted.
If anyone else needs to do it, give it a go! Total £73.51. At least I feel the car will be slightly safer for my other half, the plate must be there for something, even if it's just a marginal improvement in structural integrity of the car and the 5-star NCAP rating. Plate £51.26, bolts £2.50 each, all plus VAT. Pictures:-
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Font Bumper

Bumper Gas Machine Automotive exterior Soil

·
Super mod..
30,096 Posts
Good job C.A. jobs a good one.. nice to see people rolling up their sleeves and having a go..

Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Wheel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts