Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have what I would say is excessive free play in the steering. Have checked running gear, changed a buggererd track rod end, better but still there. My guess is the junction between the column and the rack or the actual rack. As in the title it is the model with belt driven powered steering. Any ideas before I rip the rack out?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Make sure the play is in actual rack it's self,and not in the colomn universal joints.They have a tendency to wear meaning that the wheel moves slightly without the wheels turning.

Also,jack both sides of the front of the car up and shake the wheels side to side.There is a possibility that the steering arm joints are worn.I'm not sure if their replaceable on their own or wether you need another rack.

Good luck Chris.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I think you can buy the UJ's seperately.

If they're bolted at the top and bottom,then the UJ's are seperate.Sometimes the UJ's are connected together(theres usually two),and you just replace them as a whole.They are usually splined onto the colomn and theres normally enough spline to be able to unbolt them and slide them up and off of the colomn.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sounds promising!:)

Good luck my Laaaaaannnndaaannnnn friend.:d

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Ok, thanks for that, going to look at mine in the next week or so, will let you know if i find anything, regards Damian. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts