Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've encountered something bizarre with my ABS, and I can't seem to find anything remotely similar anywhere with the search facility.

Anyways, my car is an '03 1.5dci Billabong Clio. My ABS and service light came on two days ago. Thinking it was just a sensor I booked it in for a diagnostic to find out which sensor it was.

Then, I realised that when I first start the car up and drive off, the ABS and Service lights go out for 10-15 seconds, during which time, every single time I brake (this is speeds no more than 10mph) the ABS cuts in, even though there is absolutely no need to....the lights then come back on and normal service is resumed brakes wise, although upon testing them with a few sharp stops it's clear that the ABS then does not cut in at all:confused:

I took it for a diagnostic tonight at a local garage and no fault codes are coming up at all. Mechanic thinks this may be because the light isn't on permanently, so it seems that I will have to pay the £46 that my Renault dealership want to run a diagnostic.

Has anyone else ever experienced this, only I'm beginning to worry that because of the strange behaviour of the ABS cutting in un-necessarily that it may be a problem with the main computer rather than the sensor, and therefore, a rather costly problem too..... :(

Any advice/ help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!:d

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

It sounds like either a sensor ring has split or a tooth is missing on one of them.The sensor picks up readings for wheel speeds from rings on the CV joints and rear hubs which have a castellated surface.As each high and low point passes the sensor as the wheel rotates,it registers with the sensor how fast the wheel is going and this information goes back to the ECU which compares the wheel speeds.If a sensor ring breaks or looses a tooth the sensor thinks that the wheel with the effected ring on it is locking up or slowing down faster than the others,and the ABS system is triggered.

I'd either check the rings for damage yourself,or have them checked at a garage and I'm sure that one of them will be faulty.:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I recall I guy having the same problem where it turned out to be split insulation of sensors. However it was on Laguna 1 - the insulation below the sensor cap (visible from behind the brake disc) had split and water was comming in the crack causing contact and fault. He managed to open it, remove some of the insulation that in fact seals the sensor, and resealed ti again with epoxy. Said this solved it, so it might be a good idea to have a good look at the sensors.
Still this comes from a different model than yours, so it might not be of any help, it's just a suggestion where to look

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions! I will bear all of this in mind and see what I can get checked out before racking up a fortune at a Renault dealership!!:d

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
There is no need to take it to a Renault dealer!

Any good independant garage will be able to diagnose and fix the problem.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
U/D : Problem solved!

:d Well, we think we've cracked it!

Took the front wheels off last night, and although the boot was intact on both sides, the Jubilee clip holding the boot on had broken on both the n/s and o/s.

Therefore, not only had everything filled up with grease and gunk from the boot, but where the Jubilee clip was broken it was moving as the car moved, and sat in front of the ABS sensor. Therefore, the ABS sensor was reading the clip as a solid object and thinking it was the wheels locking up, which is why my ABS was kicking in un-necessarily until a certain speed was reached.

As it was gone 6pm, the only place open was Halfords, who had no such thing as a Jubilee clip, unless we wanted to buy 2 boot kits with them in - no thank you! - as the boot was fine on both sides. So with some Blue Peter skills and a couple of cable ties and some superglue! we've temporarily fixed it until we can get some proper clips today.

So thanks for all your help, saved a fortune on what would have been an un-necessary Renault diagnostic (although it would have been interesting to see how far Renault would have gone before realising what it actually was!)

Just such a strange coincidence that both sides went at the same time! :crazy:

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi kerij.

Well done glad to hear you got to the root of the problem without to much expense.

If the cable tie holds the boot on and keeps the grease in i can't see any need for the change to metal clip.

Any thoughts.?

:) :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi noticed you d mentioned sensor ring s splitting my wife s scenic s ABS comes on all the time, was changing discs and pads today & noticed the ring split does anyone know if you can change ring s on there own and if it s straight forward to do cheers andy

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If the ring is around the CV joint then I don't think they are available seperately.:(

I'd check with a local dealer or motor factor,but I'm pretty sure you'll need a new joint or in some cases a driveshaft.:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
ABS and Pads.......

Hi,

I m new to the forums so apologies if Im asking something which is covered elsewhere!!! I have an intermittant ABS light coming on in a 2003 clio extreme 1, I also think my brake pads are low, could these be linked??

Also is there anywhere you can get diagrams of what to
look for when you take the tyres off???
Cheers!!

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

I don't think the two things are linked,but stranger things have happened....:)

There are a couple of threads with pictures showing the front brake layout and how to change the discs and pads,I'll see if I can find them and post them here.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I m new to the forums so apologies if Im asking something which is covered elsewhere!!! I have an intermittant ABS light coming on in a 2003 clio extreme 1, I also think my brake pads are low, could these be linked??

Also is there anywhere you can get diagrams of what to
look for when you take the tyres off???
Cheers!!
Hi, I've been reading through these posts but as I am completely dumb when it comes to cars and technical things I'm lost! I have a 2005 clio extreme and my service light and abs light came on a few days ago. I haven't noticed anything different about driving it but am now concerned that something is seriously wrong!

We're not the sort of people who know what to do to check to see if everything is intact and money is uite tight at the moment so don't want to be paying over the odds to get it checked out.

Could someone give us some advice please...? That isn't too technical!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I've been reading through these posts but as I am completely dumb when it comes to cars and technical things I'm lost! I have a 2005 clio extreme and my service light and abs light came on a few days ago. I haven't noticed anything different about driving it but am now concerned that something is seriously wrong!

We're not the sort of people who know what to do to check to see if everything is intact and money is uite tight at the moment so don't want to be paying over the odds to get it checked out.

Could someone give us some advice please...? That isn't too technical!!!!

Thanks
Hi there.

I had the same problem as you, my ABS and serv light came on when I went over 50mph. It turned out that the ABS ring (a toothed ring behind the disc brake) had split and had a gap in it. This was a 2003 Clio xtreme 2.

In the end it turned out my local mechanic could not source the ring by itself and renault wanted £80 +VAT for a new drive shaft but he could get one for £35.

My advise is to take off each front wheel and look at the ABS ring behind the disc brake. See if there are any splits in it or if your clip on the gator (the rubber covering) has come away and is blocking the sensor.

Does your ABS kick in at low speeds?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

I took the car to our local Reanault garage as it is still under warranty. Turned out we needed a new driveshaft so it was fitted free of chrage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts