Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
appoligies if ive posted in the wrong section, ive been reading through other theads about abs light coming on etc but cant really find the answer im looking for, here goes;

just bought a 99 clio 1.6 rxe, on the way home the handbrake light came on and was flickering, noticed the brake fluid was low, once i got home, parked up and topped it up and the handbrake light went off but the abs light came on and has stayed on since?

any ideas? thanks in advance :)

D

·
0 Posts
How 'low' was it?
It's possible , if it was proper low, to get air into the abs pump.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
It may be worth asking the question as to why the fluid level was low. It may be due to either normal wear on the pads or a leak somewhere.

I suggest you check thoroughly for fluid leaks first.

If all is OK in that respect then check the ABS sensors and reluctor rings.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it was propper low! and the pads are almost worn out too, just seemed funny it was fine apart from the low level light now the abs light came on before i went anywhere in it lol! gonna fit new pads and bleed the system through, any tips for bleeding or is it quite straight forward?

cheers

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Bleeding the brakes follows the same priciples as with a car without ABS,it's always good practice to do the job with the ignition switched off though.Damage caused to the ABS unit whilst bleeding is very,very rare,but having the ignition off and the system not powered will reduce the risks further.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts