Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently replaced the rear discs and pads on my ex-wife's (!!) 2007 Clio and ever since then the ABS warning light (plus the spanner light) has been on. So my question is: How do you go about switching these lights off?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Sounds like you have fitted the wrong disks. Either with no ABS 'ring' or with the wrong number of pulses.

This condition cannot be switched off, will be an MOT failure and could possibly be dangerous. Is this what you wanted? :devil:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG, Doesn't sound good. After I'd fitted the discs and noticed that the ABS lights were on I went back to the place where I bought the discs (which wasn't a Renault dealer!!) and asked them if the discs they'd sold me had an ABS ring and they said that they did. So it looks like they may have been telling porkies!:(

One more thing, could you please clarify why you think the discs I have fitted could be dangerous??

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
because if you have no ABS and you had to do a emergency stop, they may be to much braking on the rear and in turn could spin the car around. Sounds like the new discs are the problem, fit the right ones and drive up the road and the light will go out, the fault will still be stored in the computer.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
It seems you could have three problems here.

1. The disks you were supplied have no ABS rings. If they were sold with then they need to be replaced by the supplier.

2. The disks have ABS rings but were not correct for the car. Depending on what you asked for and how you asked you may have problems getting a replacement.

3. The ABS sensors are damaged or not re-fitted correctly. You need to check this.

Sounds like a bit of a bum situation to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
because if you have no ABS and you had to do a emergency stop, they may be to much braking on the rear and in turn could spin the car around. Sounds like the new discs are the problem, fit the right ones and drive up the road and the light will go out, the fault will still be stored in the computer.
Ok thanks for that.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Hey there disregard this comment.
The load sensing valve controls the amount of braking force on the back wheels, not the abs. Under normal braking situtions the abs is not even used. Abs only works when the wheel speed is very different across your four wheels.
A car with no abs is the same as a car with abs that is not working

What you should do is bring your car to a mechanic with diagnostic computer and ask to check for fault. It is possible that rust and steel filings got stuck to sensor pick up. This could cause a false reading.
The. Sensor pick up might also have been damaged during the change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.