Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a Clio and noticed that the boot light didn't work. On inspection I found that the bulb was missing. On replacement I happened to notice that it didn't go out when the boot was closed. The switch is OK and the light is on even if the switch is removed so I assume that the light is controlled from somewhere else and that the switch is sending a signal rather than carrying bulb current.
Has anyone any suggestions on what controls the boot light?

thanks Dennis

·
Registered
6 Posts
My daughter's clio has the same problem. Did you happen to find the problem ... save me stripping back the wiring harness?

Cheers,
Ripface.

... and yeah, I realise you've probably sold the car by now and are retired in the Maldives!

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
On the early Clios there was a pressure plunger switch at the edge of the boot opening. On later models it is controlled via a switch on the internal door lock.

If yours is the latter then it may be worth checking the lock mechanism behind the door liner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi modnoel10,

Thanks for the reply. My daughter's car has the plunger switch on the boot lip and seems to work ok when removed and tested. On removal I notice that the light *still* stays on even with the switch removed.

Weird!! Not sure where the current to keep the light on is coming from. With the switch removed there should be no chance of the bulb lighting, unless there is a short somewhere ....

Cheers,
Ripface.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,816 Posts
I think you will find.

The light is powered all the time, the switch earths it to complete the circuit, so you must have a short to earth on the switch side of the bulb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Ralph,

Thanks for the suggestion, but in this case the switch seems to be broken when the boot is closed and open circuit when the boot is opened. I tested it with a continuity tester.

What you suggest is the normal way door and boot switches work, but I guess that was toooo good for the clio. It has to have a *special* switch that works a different way from most other cars.

Special? Special needs maybe!

: )

Cheers,
Ripface.

·
Registered
6 Posts
*Update*

I've done some further testing. The switch is definately working as it should. In "Boot Open" position there is continuity across the switch, and in "Boot Closed" position the circuit is open.

If I remove the boot switch from it's holder so that the circuit is completely open, on the bulb holder I am getting a reading of 12v on both sides of the holder.

If I replace the boot switch and leave it in the "Boot Open" position, I get 12v on the positive side and a nominal reading on the earth side of the bulb holder.

???

Has anyone any experience of this? I'm now more confused than before!!

: (

Cheers,
Ripface.

*Edit* Just reread Ralph's first post. Yeah ... I agree with you Ralph, Sorry for being a thickie!!
Looks like there is a short somewhere, but why am I getting 12v on the earth side of the holder?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, the light in the boot is linked to the courtesy light circuit and takes whatever amount of time to fade out and switch off with the overhead lights in the cabin.
If you've not had a flat battery in your car then I would think that its not a fault and just the courtesy light time delay. It would be easy to test just take the parcel shelf off and close all the doors / hatch and see if the light goes out with the overhead cabin light. Hope that helps, its just drove me mad trying to figger it out for the last couple of hours on my clio after i noticed it and assumed it was a fault, even took the lock off the hatch and put the multimeter on the light switch pins of the lock to see if it was working ok.:forehead:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clio II 1.4 2000, I fix the boot light by opening the mickroswitch and cleaning the contacts. Switch is located in lower end of boot lid.
I also fetch temperature sensor from scrab yard and checked that motor
cooling fan is working propely.
You cannot be sure, if you are asking ladys, that is the cooling fan running.
They lift up their sholders.:x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts