Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2001 clio 1.4 16v privilege on 48k miles last Thursday from a garage sales place, on friday night, the car lost power and wouldn't start. Had my own engine diagnostic done sunday, said wiring faulty and had to cut one wire as voltage going wrong way. Told dealer on Monday, he had car towed back to his garage and apparently it is the timing/cam belt which has gone and could have done serious damage. The independant garage at side of this dealers has said it may be cheaper to get another engine in, any ideas???

Interestingly it said on invoice timing belt advised to be replaced, quite co-incidental it went next day

·
Registered
21 Posts
how unlucky was that im in the same situation with my espace need a new cylinder head going to cost £600 to replace but after alot of searching it worked out cheaper to replace the cylinder head than the whole engine:mad: good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I spent £1800 on clio engine after cam belt went. Garage gave an inital estimate of £800. However price went up due to needing new pistons etc to £1800.
Car still not running properly.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I assume you bought it from a proper dealer and they are going to foot the bill under the 3 month warranty they have to give you? If they are expecting you to pay for it I would have words with them - and maybe get a courtesy car from them?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts