Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does my 1.2 clio have a cambelt or timing chain?
cant see any paper work about the cambelt being changed and doesn`t say anything about a cambelyt in the owners manual!
ta jb.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Yes. Yes it does (unless this is a trick question and your car doesn't run)
The service booklet should tell you about when it should be changed, or have notes about when it was changed :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello and yes. if you have no paperwork of it been done. get it changed to be on safe side. you can get a cambelt kit for about 60 to 80 pound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi my 1.2 is on 117,520 miles i think was changed at 80,000 (main service is ticked by the dealer)in the srvice book is it ready to be changed again?
how much is it?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I had a quote from local independent for £165 ish, all in including pump. Maybe they were just being nice. :crazy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
bought a clio last week with full intentions of getting it done...it ground to a halt on my way to work this morning, and from my description of it to my mechanic he thinks its gonna be the timing belt defo get it done is what i say...

·
Inveterate Bodger
786 Posts
About every 36000 ~ 40000 miles is the general rule, so if you're up to 117k after it was last done at 80k you're smack bang in the target zone.

I'd reckon a couple hundred quid or so depending on where you take it (dealership will of course rip you a new one, but be wary of chain or backstreet garages offering too-good-to-be-true prices). It's a bit of a hit, but totally worth it to avoid a failure that would basically kill the car - little value in rebuilding the top end of a low capacity, high mileage Clio engine.

Unless you've read the method and feel up to doing it yourself that is... done it on other cars before but wouldn't be confident on a Renault with amateur tools because the sprocket alignments are just friction based rather than keyed O_O...

·
Registered
40 Posts
you wanna get that cambelt changed. mine went at 77k = dead engine. whoops.

agreed there is no point in rebuilding engine so i just bought another one from a newer car, paid my mate 200 notes to do the swap + cambelt change = hey presto. new car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i done my cam belt after it snapped at 90k. belt kit, water pump,1 exhaust valve and a head gasket cost me £85 ish. very easy job. no special tools. cam and crank gears are keyed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive had my Clio since November, again with no history. So am looking to get the cambelt done, along with its othewr various problems....sigh... 1.9 DTI, car is on 109500, been quoted by a local garage £200 + VAT for cambelt kit, water pump and a new accessories belt.. that to me sounds a good deal... was due to go in Thursday, but due to the car giving me problems with power, i think it's the MAF sensor.. im gonna have to sort that first, and put off the belts and pump till Feb 28th.. But thats the earliest i can now get it done, as simply cant afford a new MAF £165+, then the other £200+.... done a bit of work myself on the car, new pads, anti roll bar drop links, oil and filter, air filter..

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
i done my cam belt after it snapped at 90k. belt kit, water pump,1 exhaust valve and a head gasket cost me £85 ish. very easy job. no special tools. cam and crank gears are keyed.
Careful, not all are keyed. Both our Clios aren't. D7F 726 and D4F - unsure which D4F.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Getting mine done this week, car is almost 8 yrs old but only on 33k , no paperwork to say its already been done , so getting it done to be on the safe side.

quoted £242 for the lot inc water pump.

only had the car a week or so , but so far very happy with it.

·
Cliolover
270 Posts
Hi, had my series 1 just over a year,History file showed new battery & starter plus various other work but no mention of the belts being done, so my local Renault Garage (I live in Central France) has just changed the belt & also at my request carried out a full service & the difference it has made to Clio's handling, performance etc. is amazing! I do not know the full extent of the work done as I have not yet been invoiced! when I asked the man he said he hadn't yet done it, took a sharp intake of breath, & said "when the sun shines". I have budgeted about €800,00 for this so will keep you informed; watch this space! Meanwhile, would like to offer my thanks to everyone who contributes & makes this one of the best forums around!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ive had my Clio since November, again with no history. So am looking to get the cambelt done, along with its othewr various problems....sigh... 1.9 DTI, car is on 109500, been quoted by a local garage £200 + VAT for cambelt kit, water pump and a new accessories belt.. that to me sounds a good deal... was due to go in Thursday, but due to the car giving me problems with power, i think it's the MAF sensor.. im gonna have to sort that first, and put off the belts and pump till Feb 28th.. But thats the earliest i can now get it done, as simply cant afford a new MAF £165+, then the other £200+.... done a bit of work myself on the car, new pads, anti roll bar drop links, oil and filter, air filter..
Where abouts are you? thats really good price. I am looking to change cambelt on my clio 1.5 dci and no one has quoted less than £399 yet!!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
If you were in the area for a day I would do it for around £150. The wife would kill me though, got a soft spot for showing people how cheap it can be to do a good job... just takes time to show true care.

Would expect £300 to be a good job at any indy garage! Would also be wanting to see evidence of all the work done too.

Mike

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Same question really.

Brought our daughter a 2005 Clio 1.2 16v last week. Fully serviced the engine today, and gave it a good going over.
To me it looks as if this engine is a timing chain ?.
When I looked up Clio on Wikipedia, it says the late 2004 and on has a new engine by Nissan. Aka the Micra engine.

Can anyone confirm this for me ?.
When I had the huge air box off to change the plugs etc, the end of the engine looks all enclosed in Alloy. Just like a Timing chain engine would.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts