Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, don't know if anyone can help but the key fobs for my mk 2 Clio (53 reg Oasis) do not operate the central locking anymore. I thought it could be the batteries as the red indicator light was not very strong, so I have changed the batteries (£1.99 from Maplins for CR1220) . Unfortunately and ver frustratingly the fobs still do not activate the central locking. Can anyone advise what to do next? Can an independent mechanic help rather than taking it back to a Renault where I fear a large bill in the order of £300, if I know Renault servicing...

·
Registered
1 Posts
does the engine still start in the car?

if so (with the ign turned off) try disconnecting the battery for a short time and reconnecting it and then retry the central locking...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorted

Hi there
At last I have sorted out the central locking problem with my clio. I have searched the tinternet high and low for ideas and have also read at length the electronics page of this great site. I have tried various things with the car including changing the batteries on the fobs, zapping and aiming the fob at various parts of the car and pressing various buttons for diferent lengths of time. I looked at the fuses and no joy. I thought the problem could have been when we had the huge downfalls of rain and that something electronic (near the aerial could have gotten wet -something I read about, anfd tried looking within the ceiling of the car) etc etc... all to no joy. However I was determined not to have to take it to a dealer who I knew would rob me blind. My partner - who is expecting our first child and is on maternity leave - started using the clio for her own use whilst I used her larger car for work, so I was beginning to get lots of reminders about eth locking n still not being fixed. Then she told me that she had booked the car in to be seen by the local garage!! This promted me into action and I thought I had better have another look just in case. I wondered if it was the fuses afterall and had a quick look. Again nothing, then I realised that there are 2 fuses with the door opening icon so I tried removing the fuse and pressed the internal central locking button on trhe dashboard and also the fob (for good measure) and replaced the fuse. To my amazement and delight when I then pressed the fob the door locked!! Relief, I still wasn't sure and have been pressing it on an off for a good 10 mins so I know probably need a new battery! I don't know why the fuse was not working properly maybe originally the batteries weren't powerful enough in the fob that affected the fuse; or the fuse got loose , or something got wet and the fuse switched itself off. I dunno, anyhow the moral to this longwinded diatribe is this - keep on trying, don't give in and try and solve it yerself first before the dealerships rob you.

Keep on the good work with the site. Hopefully i won't have to use it for a while again.

Cheers Jonny

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
congrats Cheekyj, don't just use the site when you need it. You have just given an answer to a problem that might be of use to another user,,,,you could also do so in the future. This forum relies on interaction between owners who have problems and found those who have found a solution.

regard

Tel (Asterix)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Aterix

Yeah I definately agree thats why I have come on here straight after solving the problem to share with other folk the solution to my cars problem. If you don't give a little you can't expect to get anything back as they say...

I just hope I don't have any more problems with the car so soon.

On another tack totally I would let people know that dealerships do vary with not just their costs but also to what is covered under warranty. The sunroof on my clio (which came with the car as part of the special edition package) is a waste of time in my opinion - on my last clio (mk1 1995/6) it leaked rainwater, especially when going around corners.. so I expect it to do the same soon on this clio. Anyhow the sunroof lever on this car rattles like 2 rabbits doing what rabbits do and had to be looked at during its warranty period as the sunroof would not shut properly. Part of the plastic lever opening mechanism had broken and I had to get it replaced. One dealership said the car wouldn't be covered and another said it was a manufacturing fault and duly fixed it. It still rattles like I mentioned earlier but the sunroof closes okay. What annoyed me though was that the dealer who said the warranty would not cover such a defect was the same dealer that I had trusted to buy 2 clios from and had used them for servicing both cars for a number of years. So another bit of advicey - if at first you don't like their answer try another dealer.

Cheers Jonny

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Sorted

Hi there
At last I have sorted out the central locking problem with my clio. I have searched the tinternet high and low for ideas and have also read at length the electronics page of this great site. I have tried various things with the car including changing the batteries on the fobs, zapping and aiming the fob at various parts of the car and pressing various buttons for diferent lengths of time. I looked at the fuses and no joy. I thought the problem could have been when we had the huge downfalls of rain and that something electronic (near the aerial could have gotten wet -something I read about, anfd tried looking within the ceiling of the car) etc etc... all to no joy. However I was determined not to have to take it to a dealer who I knew would rob me blind. My partner - who is expecting our first child and is on maternity leave - started using the clio for her own use whilst I used her larger car for work, so I was beginning to get lots of reminders about eth locking n still not being fixed. Then she told me that she had booked the car in to be seen by the local garage!! This promted me into action and I thought I had better have another look just in case. I wondered if it was the fuses afterall and had a quick look. Again nothing, then I realised that there are 2 fuses with the door opening icon so I tried removing the fuse and pressed the internal central locking button on trhe dashboard and also the fob (for good measure) and replaced the fuse. To my amazement and delight when I then pressed the fob the door locked!! Relief, I still wasn't sure and have been pressing it on an off for a good 10 mins so I know probably need a new battery! I don't know why the fuse was not working properly maybe originally the batteries weren't powerful enough in the fob that affected the fuse; or the fuse got loose , or something got wet and the fuse switched itself off. I dunno, anyhow the moral to this longwinded diatribe is this - keep on trying, don't give in and try and solve it yerself first before the dealerships rob you.

Keep on the good work with the site. Hopefully i won't have to use it for a while again.

Cheers Jonny

Hi everyone...

I know this is a very old thread, but I have just had exactly the same issue as Johnny! I looked closely and saw the second fuse, (10a) Main one for C/L looks like a 20a. When I pulled the 10a fuse, I heard the faint click of a relay somewhere just behind the fuse panel. Replaced the fuse and hey presto! The keyfob now works again!

Many thanks to everyone in admin here for keeping the old stuff here too!!! :)

Leebo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts