Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Having a small issue trying to set the cambelt tensioner final poistion (after turning the engine clockwise 6 times).
I made sure the cambelt tensioner lugs are at 3 o'clock and either side of the cylinder head lug.

How far roughly do you have to turn the cambelt tensioner with the 6mm allen key clockwise to get pointer in poistion?

When I try, I cannot get the pointer to get into the 'second' position, in fact it turns away from the second position, the only way I can get the pointer to the correct position is to turn the 6mm allen key ANTI-CLOCKWISE a small amount?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,084 Posts
Need pictures, Of where you are trying to point to
Hard to explain otherwise ,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
First set the tensioner as picture 1.

then turn engine over six turns.

Then the tensioner bolt is undone and loosened so with the 6mm allen key turn it 'clockwise' (as per the installation instructions) see picture 2

so the plate is at point 16, but I cannoty do this by turning the allen key clockwise, only by turning anti-clockwise by a small amount.

·
41,084 Posts
I meant a picture of YOUR actual engine showing the tensioner in situ
DO NOT post copyright pictures on the site
Thats Autodata,
THATS the biggest NO NO on the site,
Any more and we will have no choice but to ban you

Might help if you read the forum rules

Reactions: Phil48

·
Registered
12 Posts
I happened to see the posted picture before it was removed. Your tensioner has the indicator that has to be lined up to ensure correct tension on the belt. Make absolute certain the tensioner is correctly positioned. There will be a lug on the tensioner that sits in a cut out in the engine. The tensioner bolt only needs nipping up to hold the tensioner. When the belt is correctly installed the allen key is used to set the tension. You turn the allen key clockwise until the little pointer lines up in the notch. This will always be shown in the tensioner pulley instruction leaflet. Once you are satisfied the correct tension is set then you can tighten the tensioner bolt to the correct torque.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I happened to see the posted picture before it was removed. Your tensioner has the indicator that has to be lined up to ensure correct tension on the belt. Make absolute certain the tensioner is correctly positioned. There will be a lug on the tensioner that sits in a cut out in the engine. The tensioner bolt only needs nipping up to hold the tensioner. When the belt is correctly installed the allen key is used to set the tension. You turn the allen key clockwise until the little pointer lines up in the notch. This will always be shown in the tensioner pulley instruction leaflet. Once you are satisfied the correct tension is set then you can tighten the tensioner bolt to the correct torque.
Thanks for your reply.

So I have all OK until the second adjustment "clockwise".

I can get the pointer to set correctly by (slightly) turning the allen key anticlockwise, if I try to turn it in any amount in the clockwise direction the pointers move away from each other (IE the spring loosens)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess with what you've said then the tensioner may need turning anti-clockwise. Regardless of the direction, the main thing is that it puts correct tension on the belt. If the pointer lines up correctly then tighten the bolt. Check for excess slack on the belt. If satisfied then remove timing locks and rotate engine 3 times and then reinsert timing tools to check the timing lines all up again. Torque the tensioner bolt to correct torque spec

·
41,084 Posts
Post a couple of pictures of your NEW tensioner,
One where you have got it to, point and one you are hoping to get it to point
Its usually, fit the cam belt, adjust , turn engine, adjust a bit more job done..
ITS better to be slightly lose THAN TO TIGHT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I need to get this done I then spent the next hour or so making sure eveything was OK, IE I turn that engine over (about over 100 when the timing belt marks finally came back to the crank/cam timing mark poistion) in batches of 6 turns making sure A) the timing was still OK and B) watching the cam tensioner to see it only moved between the "second position" when at crankshaft/camshaft marks marks lined up (IE the belt is at it's tightest position" spiring highest tension) and that it "backed off" towards the first position (but no further) when the belt was not at the timing marks (slackest/spring lower tension).

I was asking the question as I don't ant to get this wrong (it is easier on my WWII vehicle doesn't have such complications) because the instructions said 'clockwise' (including Renault's manual the diagrams were from), rather than turn it slightly either way to get the pointer to the correct postion. I did find on the web some other video/instuctions (including Continental) that either don't mention a second adjustment or just 'turn' the allen key until pointer is in the right position.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,226 Posts
I think the clockwise instruction is because if you turn anti clock you risk undoing the whole tensioner.
Many tensioners are little more then an eccentric cam that is being turned by the allen key.... go past the point of maximum tension and it drops off again...keep turning and tension will reach minimum and then increase again....dunno if that is possible with yours.
The other thing to check is the relative positions of the pointers before fitting.

·
41,084 Posts
If you post a picture of your new tensioner SO WE can see it we can explain
That first stage, you make sure engine is locked at TDC , if you are not locking the crank you will struggle
turn the tensioner ANTI CLOCKWISE to take the tensioner pulley up, so it forces the belt into the cam sprocket, and turn to the adjusting point You then remove the locking pin going from the block int the flywheel
you then turn the engine 6 times, CLOCKWISE if pointer is set wrong you shove the allen key back in, slightly undo the nut, and adjust Clockwise OR Anticlockwise as needed THEN just tighten the nut back up.
Turn it back to TDC, and shove locking pin back in,
If its set correctly Locking pin will go in, and cam and crank will line up, and pointer on the tensioner will be correct

THE tensioner is fitted because people tend to OVER-TENSION the belt and so Manufactures had to fit a spring loaded tensioner to stop people over-tensioning the belt ..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts