Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought a DCI 100 a week ago and made a highly embarrassing and catastrophic error. Despite being relatively mechanically savvy I made a huge boo boo! I checked the oil and couldn't see any oil on it at all....and no markings for the level at all. I was about to go on a long journey so decided to make sure it had some in it.......almost 3 litres later I could finally see some oil on the dipstick so thought I'd leave it like that for now.....what I didn't realise stupidly was that what I had in my hand was a snapped dipstick, I had accidentally massively overfilled it. Without realising this I drove it, 10 miles down the round, smoke bellowed out the back then bizarrely began revving out of control, I pulled over turned the ignition off and it still ran, presumably having broken seals and oil was getting into the intake some how and combusting. Eventually it ran at full revs for around 2/3min before it just died. Obviously it will no longer start, presumably I have blown the head gasket and various other seals. I have since bought a DCI 65 on the cheap to keep me mobile. Anyways, question is this, what is the most like damage I have caused, is it worth repairing? If I wanted to simply convert the 65 to a 100 do I just need to exchange the turbo, injectors, ecu, and intercooler?

Would greatly appreciate your advice as I love this car and don't want to just scrap it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Hi, I bought a DCI 100 a week ago and made a highly embarrassing and catastrophic error. Despite being relatively mechanically savvy I made a huge boo boo! I checked the oil and couldn't see any oil on it at all....and no markings for the level at all. I was about to go on a long journey so decided to make sure it had some in it.......almost 3 litres later I could finally see some oil on the dipstick so thought I'd leave it like that for now.....what I didn't realise stupidly was that what I had in my hand was a snapped dipstick, I had accidentally massively overfilled it. Without realising this I drove it, 10 miles down the round, smoke bellowed out the back then bizarrely began revving out of control, I pulled over turned the ignition off and it still ran, presumably having broken seals and oil was getting into the intake some how and combusting. Eventually it ran at full revs for around 2/3min before it just died. Obviously it will no longer start, presumably I have blown the head gasket and various other seals. I have since bought a DCI 65 on the cheap to keep me mobile. Anyways, question is this, what is the most like damage I have caused, is it worth repairing? If I wanted to simply convert the 65 to a 100 do I just need to exchange the turbo, injectors, ecu, and intercooler?

Would greatly appreciate your advice as I love this car and don't want to just scrap it. Thanks
thats called engine run away - no good to you now, but pull over handbrake hard on, press brake as hard as possible and put in Top 4/5/6th gear and let up clutch to stall engine - if auto bonnet up rip off rubber air intake to inlet manifold from airbox and stuff / hold over a 'scrunched' up rag / t-shirt / jumper - make sure its on the sucky side and mind fingers - you need to starve engine of air to stop it - its not running on diesel anymore but the oil. if not stopped after 30 seconds get away and wait for it to go bang! it will be destroyed
your engine will be destroyed and not worth repairing - just replace if its worth doing

dci65 to dci100 conversion not viable been discussed before..

fill in garage for your car details

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,961 Posts
As Nexie says, quite a good chance engine is toast.
It ran on engine oil, out of control and over-revving until the oil ran out.
Valve, piston, con rod, big end, cams.... virtually anything that could overstress or relied on lubrication is possibly/likely damaged.

If you are up to it, stripping down to inspect is only way to tell what and whether it is viable to repair.
Most simply regard a runaway engine as FUBAR.
Sorry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts