Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My wifes Clio has recently started suffering from strange starting problems.. i've managed to get a lot of good tips as to what may be causing it from the forum.

However.. one simple procedure has me stumped.. How on earth do you remove the black ECU cover from this car?

I need access to the ECU to allow me to disconnect the cables but for the past 20mins all i have succeeded in doing is slicing and dicing my hands..

Anyone able to help? :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there.

I'm guessing you worked this out, since you posted in May!

However, for anyone else who needs to know, this is what you do:

Hold a small mirror between the bulkhead and the black metal cover. You will see a slot (hole). Inside the slot you will see the edge of a small wheel. This edge of the wheel has lots of small holes around it.

Now using a small allen key or similar, you need to turn this wheel using the holes. Once it gets started it is easy to turn. It takes some time to fully undo it, so be patient!

This is exactly what my local Renault garage said to do. It's a really bad design if you ask me!

Hope that helps anyone that needs to know.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
I'm just curious as to what you were trying to fix, that required taking the ECU to bits?

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Truckbusuk.

On Clios circa 2001, the ECU is under a silly metal cover that, I think, is an anti-theft device (?).

You can't remove the wire plugs from the ECU, or indeed remove the ECU itself until this cover plate is removed.

It's a right royal pain, I can tell you.

:(

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The metal cover on the ECU just isn't an anti-theft cover it acts a very important shield against outside electronic pulses which could seriously interrupt its electronics.:)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hello Matt, I think all the Clio2's have this cover (mine is an April 1999 and its got it), but I thought it was a shield (as Noel described) rather than an anti-theft device.

I'm still confused as to what v00d was trying to fix .... not confused really just curious :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh. Just shows what my auto electrician knows then (at £60 an hour!!).

He supposed it was an anti-theft device because the ECU was linked to the immobiliser (?). Whatever!

Good job I didn't angle grind it off then!

Anyway, my ECU problem is still not fixed. I need to remove the ECU, and it seems impossible to undo the 2 bottom screws (access wise).

I think I will need to get one of those bendy screwdrivers with a screwdriver-bit holder on the end and do it that way. I have the star-bit to fit, but just can't get to the damned things!

Any tips on how best to access these screws would be very welcome.

Matt

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
If your star-bit end(known as a Torx) has a hexagon or square prohile you could try using a small spanner to get it started.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Reviving a dead horse maybe,

The cover is supposed to be an anti-theft/modification device, not EMC protection, the wires still come out of the box so the effect is irrelevant.

To remove if it won't budge easily is remove the bonnet.

With a 2-3" strap (like ratchet straps without the ratchet) and an engine crane.

Feed the strap through the cavity between the top of the cover and the top of the wires (be careful not to trap wires), hook the ends of the strap over the hook on the engine crane and use the engine crane to lift the cover off. (You may want to protect the windscreen as they can come off with some force)

If the car starts to be lifted off the ground or it looks like it's over loading the engine crane, as some can get really stuck you may have to cut it off with an angle grinder.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Reviving a dead horse maybe,

The cover is supposed to be an anti-theft/modification device, not EMC protection, the wires still come out of the box so the effect is irrelevant.

To remove if it won't budge easily is remove the bonnet.

With a 2-3" strap (like ratchet straps without the ratchet) and an engine crane.

Feed the strap through the cavity between the top of the cover and the top of the wires (be careful not to trap wires), hook the ends of the strap over the hook on the engine crane and use the engine crane to lift the cover off. (You may want to protect the windscreen as they can come off with some force)

If the car starts to be lifted off the ground or it looks like it's over loading the engine crane, as some can get really stuck you may have to cut it off with an angle grinder.

Bonnet Off!
Engine crane!!
Angle grinder!!!!!! :eek

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh. Just shows what my auto electrician knows then (at £60 an hour!!).

He supposed it was an anti-theft device because the ECU was linked to the immobiliser (?). Whatever!

Good job I didn't angle grind it off then!

Anyway, my ECU problem is still not fixed. I need to remove the ECU, and it seems impossible to undo the 2 bottom screws (access wise).

I think I will need to get one of those bendy screwdrivers with a screwdriver-bit holder on the end and do it that way. I have the star-bit to fit, but just can't get to the damned things!

Any tips on how best to access these screws would be very welcome.

Matt
I used a small Halfords ratchet with bit attachment, lots of patience and swearing for the bottom 2 and the top left as you look at it. For the top right one I used a small adjustable with the star bit in and a cable tie to hold the bit in place.

I had to take it off to repair 3 wires with the insulation rubbed off, beware though, I did this and refitted and now the car won't even turn over.... I have tried pretty much everything and it looks like a trip to Renault is going to be the only answer..... so I'm expecting once it gets there that I'll need a new ECU....

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used a small Halfords ratchet with bit attachment, lots of patience and swearing for the bottom 2 and the top left as you look at it. For the top right one I used a small adjustable with the star bit in and a cable tie to hold the bit in place.

I had to take it off to repair 3 wires with the insulation rubbed off, beware though, I did this and refitted and now the car won't even turn over.... I have tried pretty much everything and it looks like a trip to Renault is going to be the only answer..... so I'm expecting once it gets there that I'll need a new ECU....

John
You might need to reprogram the immobiliser codes for the keys if you've had the ECU connectors off.

You can do this from the car using the door lock button, don't remember the exact procedure, but I'm sure someone on here knows it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You might need to reprogram the immobiliser codes for the keys if you've had the ECU connectors off.

You can do this from the car using the door lock button, don't remember the exact procedure, but I'm sure someone on here knows it.
Thanks :) that would make some sense, I have tried some of the recommendations on here and other sites as yet though no luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the k9k 1.5 80bhp dci clio 2 and I have no idea what wheels were being referred to from the second post in this thread as I could find nothing of the sort on my vehicle.

In the end I had to hacksaw down the centre of the lid, the back of the lid came away immediately the front was still secure. It seems there is a horizontal bar securing the front of the lid, as this would still not come away even when sawn in half. I had to remove the ecu use a screwdriver from the back virtically up into a recess to release the catch on the front. Absolutely ridiculous design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts