Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have a 52 plate clio dci, done 170,000 miles, well serviced. Has got lack of power and smokes like a train, it has just had a new egr valve which has made things a bit better but still not right. Any one got any more ideas?? Cheers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Black smoke could be un-burnt fuel, or the turbo could be on it's way out. Are there any leaks on the intake side of the engine? i.e. intercooler hoses, air intake hoses e.t.c.? To be honest it might be worth getting it checked for any fault codes from the ecu.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi. I have a Laguna II 1.9dci 2002 model and have had the same problem.

I have an awful lot of black smoke especially when I put my foot down. My car has done 143,000 miles.

My car hasn't got any lack of power, it goes very well just very smokey, failed the MOT.

I have put a new EGR a New cat, a new Airmass. I have also had the intercooler out and no traces of any oil, I have checked the inlet pipes filters etc, all ok. Its baffling me a bit..

My turbo is relatively new aswell, but if it is black smoke surely this will not be the turbo..???

Does anyone know if the camshaft timing was out by 1 tooth would the engine run ok???Wondering if this could cause anything??

The only thing I haven't changed are the injectors. Could they be causing all this smoke???

Cheers

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, worn piston rings (after covering such mileages - wear is expected) could be a main factor for all these symptoms - what is your oil consumption like? Have you had a compression test?

Paul:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi
My oil consumption is ok. The car never burns oil.. The smoke I am getting is black and not blue/grey. I am some what baffled by this car... I have tried more or less everything. I do need to do a compression test just to make sure..

The only thing next is the injectors, as they have done about 140,000 miles maybe these are letting to much fuel out..

My next test is to unplug the injectors one by one and drive the car see if this makes a difference....

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Smoking

My Laguna dci smokes like a trooper on accleration as well, also it failed the mot on exhaust gasses, i.e. excessive smoke , try racing the ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ out of it in secong gear and hold it at its limit for a few seconds , do this a few times and see if it clears, i done this maybe 10 times took it back for its retest and hey presto it passed !
For some reason the renault diesel engines need a good thrashing every now and again to clear all the crap out, give it a try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts