Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1.5 dci 65bhp the enginge managment light came on and the fault code showed egr valve when if i replace the valve will the light go off or do i have to have the fault cleared

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi m8:) have you tried cleaning it first? if the valve itself is not broken physically clean it it should cure the fault.( the best way is with some carb cleaner and a screw driver to scrape off the stuburn bits)

as to putting the light out somtimes it will go out after a small journey,and somtimes you have to have the ecu fault codes cleared. also you can try and reset it manually by leaving the batt disconected for at least 30 min,this works somtimes but mind have your radio code at hand as it will be lost when you do this.

hope this helps alex:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iv'e had the egr valve cleaned and the fault clared but the light has come up again so just thinking of changing it what damage can cause if i drive the car with the light on

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
if the valve its fully closed and dosnt open then it should be ok, might take the car a little longer to heat up and will effect nox emissions. ( if it is like this then you shouldnt have any perfomance issues.)

if its stuck open it will coke up the inlet manifold ect and this can be a costly repair(if its like this then you will have serious perfomance issues like missfiring and lack of power)

on the other hand it may be working and intermitintley causing problems.

the light is just a warning telling you that a fault has been loged/pressent so realy m8 its your call

·
Registered
1 Posts
1.5 dci clio 65bhp billabong 03 plate

hi can you offer any advice am having very poor economy regardless of driving syle 50.1mpg on start off then says round bout 48.7mpg are these cars not supposed to do 65.7mpg there abouts?? got car a couple of wks ago arnold clark .they said they serviced it wen i got it its got 39k miles on it .. is it possible they didnt do air filter they said they did i have no reason to doubt them they car is otherwise a1 with frsh it had oil done for sure i checked that when i got it thanks

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
HI swordfish - the dash readout for MPG isn't that accurate and you need to calvulate over a long period to get a fair idea. It may well be worth checking the air-filter anyway. A new filter should cost no more than around £12 and considering todays fuel prices it may be well worthwhile.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clio 1.5dci86

My car was turning over, but not starting at xmas. I had to get my clio 1.5dci86 transported to the nearest renault garage. They advised the connectors were only needing cleaned and charged me £96.00 for the pleasure. First week back at work and the engine warning light came on. I called the garage and booked it in. I was advised it was the toxic fume warning light, and they took the egr valve off and cleaned it and the light vanished costing £68. The next morning I went to drive to work and the light has reappeared!! I like my car, but it is really getting to me now. Had to call garage again today and book in for the weekend as already taken time off work. I drive approx 70 miles a day and dont want to get stuck.

Any advice on if safe enough to drive and if when the garage try to charge me again, what I should tell them as not happy.

cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
What Was The Outcome?

iv'e had the egr valve cleaned and the fault clared but the light has come up again so just thinking of changing it what damage can cause if i drive the car with the light on
I have same problem with dci 1.5 what was your experience and how did it resolve

·
Registered
69 Posts
Clio EGR

EGR goes regularly- Not just a cleaning problem-
Just get a new EGR and search this board first- B4 going to rip -off dealers.
Justrenaults.co.uk is a good source.
I have same problem with dci 1.5 what was your experience and how did it resolve

·
Registered
36 Posts
hello, i tok it off, and boy there was so much black soot type powder in there is was unbelievable.:crazy:

which can only lead me to belive that there is probably loads of this in some other components:eek:

car drives better and dont smoke as much, do u recommend cleanin anything else?

i replaced oil & both filters

·
Registered
69 Posts
hello, i tok it off, and boy there

car drives better and dont smoke as much, do u recommend cleanin anything else?

i replaced oil & both filters

Make sure 'channels' inside where EGR sits are also cleaned out (ude bent coathanger end).

Run some diesel fuel additive cleaner through for cleanign out injectors.
Examine glowplugs- any that are 'wet' are not heating up so need replacing.

Replace oil with 100% synthetic and keep topped uo near full.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hello, i washed the entire part out with panel wipe, were r the glow plugs located?:confused:

i will take the egr valve off again in nex few days to see if there's any more of this.

any advice would b mucch appreciated:bs:

thankyou

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,898 Posts
I most likely am wrong but on the U tube demo it looks
to me that the valve as split in half and only the motor
part came out of the manifold?
:confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re U tube- I think - it did split and he cleaned both bits any way it goes back together when re-mounted- He -the u-tube guy- is obviously not as familiar with it as a professional mechanic-

Any way glowplugs heads are just on engine' bulkhead ' under where injectors go- Injectors:They are the things that the high pressure rail pipes go in to- The glows are set deep in to the egine cos they have to reach the combustion chamber inside cylinder- They are trick to remove and you definitely need to invest in a glo-remover tool- Need a mechanic or knowledgable friend to do this - like I had. Very handy.
All the best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
no mine defo didnt split in 1/2 as there's a rod which pops out of the egr valve pushin some spring mechanism, this part was absolutely plastered with the black soot,:eek: i had to wash it out several times

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,898 Posts
If it all comes out the valve is over twice as long
as the bit you can see when it's fitted to the engine,
just hover your cursor over were it says EGR in blue
to get a idea, the one in the u-tube looks to have
split in half as I believe they often do if care is not taken
but they seem to be ok if fitted back together after
cleaning, the bit that needs to be clean is the barrel
or tube shaped bit that is inside the manifold.
If you are sure you got it all clean it may be worth a
good look at any associated wiring and connections
for any bad connections or rubbing through and so on.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
As above the YT viedo doesn't show the full EGR valve. The part he removes is the EGR Position Sensor and the EGR Valve itself is left inside the inlet manifold.

To get this out you do indeed need to give it a tap with a drift as he say's in the video but you need to hit it on the plate closest to the manifold otherwise you break the joint between the position sensor and the valve.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts