Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I need some help please.
I have a clio 1.2 16v dynamique 2002 mk11, and I have a unique electrical problem.

Right grab a cup of tea for this one....

On the dash (speedo cluster) on the left you have the orange lights that light up when you turn your lights on etc. when I turn the fog lights on this light lighs up but the front fog lights don't work, even after changing the bulb.

Now to the fun part.
When the fog lights are off the follwing actions make that fog light indicator onthe dash come on.
- touch the foot brake and light come on, release and light goes out.
- engage reverse gear and liht comes on, disengage and light goes out.
- put hazzards on and that light flashes intime with hazzards.
- Put indicator on R or L and same thing.

Added to this if I have the wipers on that light is not activated but every time I touch my foot brake it activates the rear wiper (for one wipe) even though the are switched off.

Any ideas where to start. I have a feeling this could be costly or could a good auto electrician be able to track down the problem?

Sorry about the lengthy post hope you have not fallen asleep.

Many thanks
T

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To Annodomini2 - Wow thanks for the fast response, will go give that a try.
Where are the earth points? If I take the light unit out as if going to change a buld, where would these points be. (ive pulled out the electrical plug to the unit the bulbs sit in and reconnected it). what else should I have done?

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Check this link below.
Take a look at damuns post with the picture and follow that.
Make sure that the female connectors in the wiring plug are clean right down inside. This is where the pin contacts.
Use a sewing needle if you need scrape off any corrosion inside the connector.

If you are not disconnecting battery,make sure all lights are turned off as you do this job.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123106&highlight=clio+fog+light+dash

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Harry, basically I looked in the boot and under the hood for all the earthing points and gave them a clean, but then I found what I think is the main
cause of it all...(in my case it was). In the rear bumper there is a light that illuminates the rear number plate. Because of it's position I think water gets in and corrodes the contacts. Pop the whole thing out take out the bulb and inspect the whole thing for corrosion, I cleaned mine but maybe, but
try get a replacement one from a scrap yard and see if that solves your problem. I've heard and read stories of it being a wiring harness problem with a
£800 bill and that still did not solve the problem in some cases.
Try the number plate light in the rear bumper first bud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts