Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Today Clio managed to die on me. I started the car in my work's car park and the engine started, juddered a bit and then all of a sudden there was a large bang, the engine died with a small amount of smoke coming out of the bonnet!

After waiting to see if my poor car was to be engulfed in flames (i had a fire extinguisher by my side), I popped the bonnet and found that 2 of the airbox mountings had snapped off and the airbox would pop up if the car attempted to start and the car would die. Without a toolkit I couldn't see if there was any other damage.

Now I managed to lock up the car and get a lift home so I was wondering if this has happened to any other users? Should I expect a hefty repair bill? Is it the case of the broken airbox preventing the throttle body sealing to the inlet manifold?

I know it's difficult to diagnose over the net but I was interested to see if this has been experienced before?

Many thanks, Ross
(Car is a 2000 Clio II X Reg 1.4 8v)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funnily enough the car had a cambelt change last week. It has done 49k miles and I make sure that it is serviced correctly. Sadly it's locked away behind large gates 10miles away and I cant get to it till tomorrow. I could do a sketch of where it broke away though but sadly thats the best I can offer! :p

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Mmm.....sounds like it fired up through the throttle body and blew the air filter off.

As Chris says,it could very well be a cam belt problem,something like the tensioner being left loose or similar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, I never thought of the cambelt being part of the problem. It looks like I can get the car towed to the garage that changed my cambelt so I hope if it is a cambelt problem they will be honest enough to tell me.

I plan on getting a good look at the damage underneath the airbox tomorrow morning and will post the pictures. Naturally I hope its nothing too serious as I'd hate to lose the use of my car for too long! If it helps I (perhaps stupidly) tried to start the car again and it did fire and idled briefly for about 5 seconds. The car revved quite high, went to normal idle speed and the the airfilter lifted and the car shut off.

Thanks for the help so far!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem Solved!

After getting to work this morning I took off my airbox to reveal that the throttle body was completely dislodged from the inlet manifold. I repositioned everything correctly and started the car without the airbox on and it fired up and ran beautifully! :)

Now for some strange reason Renault decided to allow the throttle body to be easily moved off the inlet manifold (it's not even bolted down). I managed to limp over to my local Carnoisseur as no scrappy or garage could offer a quick solution to get me on the road. Carnoisseur managed to fit a custom induction kit to my car in place of the air box and i was able to watch the man fit brackets to the throttle body to prevent it from coming loose again.

My car is now back on the road and running like a dream, save for the fact I now get a loud induction roar everytime I accelerate!

Just thought I would let you know there is a happy ending to the story. :d

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Great you got it fixed Ceser - but we are none the wiser - why did it blow off in the first place - any ideas - or could it happen again - just wondering:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply. Unknown to me the airbox was quite fatigued at the fixing points. Due to all the heat and vibration 2 of the fixing points snapped and dislodged the throttle body slightly. The throttle body didn't make a proper seal to the inlet manifold and a small explosion eventually knocked everything all over the place and scared the cr*p out of me. :d

I would advise that people do check these fixing points every now and then, I must have had at least one of the points completely snapped off for some time and didn't know it.

Ross

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
That's scary. It's also quite funny and I'm glad it was a simple fix, but the implications of that are really quite frightening.

Can anyone shed any light as to why it wouldn't be fixed? :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, some pics will help!

This image shows where the plastic gave way

Here

And last but not least we have the fixed product (still untidy but I will clean up the excess metal).

Here

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
But what caused it - that's what I want to know

That break on the air cleaner housing looks surprisingly fresh to me - so what actually caused the failure - why did the airbox come adrift in the first place. To be honest I've never heard of this type of thing happening before - and what caused the explosion in the first place. Maybe there is a damaged or missing flame arrestor. I also notice the new system has a small filter fitted to the rocker cover breather pipe - in other words any fumes given off from within the engine are dumped straight into the atmosphere and not burnt off via the exhaust which is in contravention of EC legislation. Where I live this vehicle would not pass its MOT. Additionally when a breather pipe is conected to the air cleaner box it promotes a slightly negatve pressure in the engine crankcase thus preventing damage to its seals and gaskets.:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am taking the car to the garage as soon as funds allow to see what the situation is. I had no idea with regard to the crankcase breather - thankyou for spotting it for me.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Ceser, I have been in contact with a few of my old mechanic mates and have asked them if they have ever heard of this problem. One said he could remember a situation where he seen it happen many years ago and it was caused when a flame arrestor had been unnecessarily removed from an engine. The arrestor is there to prevent the ignition of gases within the engine and air cleaner system. If the gases inside the crankcase of the engine had ignited there would could have been very serious damage indeed. One other guy also mentioned the possibility of a faulty throttle body (excess fuel dripping) which was allowing excess fuel to run in and ignited when you started the engine. When the ignition is switched off all fuel should cease to flow to the throttle body or injectors if fitted. I suggest you have it looked at real soon as next time there could be much mre serious damage or injury.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts