Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the subject has been covered but I still need some advice - Here goes...

My car had been making a load vibration noise (think helicopter), so earlier this week I took my car to my local renault garage. The kind gentlemen came with me and drove my car along a stretch of road to hear the sound. I suggested it might be the wheel bearing and he was adamant it was not and was something to do with the transmission. Anyway after 5 minutes of driving he decided it could be the wheel bearing so we returned to the garage. He jacked up my car and the front drivers wheel was somewhat wobbly. To try and combat this he tightened the big central bolt - hub nut? After this most of the wobble had gone but there was still a little play in the wheel. He confirmed it was the wheel bearing but I had my doubts in his sincerity. Anyway I decided to think about due to the cost (nearly 300 euros) and went away. On driving my car the noise had completely gone. I have been searching and it would seem he may have very temporarily fixed the problem but when I went to an independent garage today and explained the situation he said if there was no noise not worry about it. Anyway to cut a long story short, I need to drive about 500km on Monday and would like to know how safe it is to do so. The opinion from another non car related forum is that it is a very bad idea. What do the people on here think. Additionally I think I heard a slight squeak this evening when I took the car out for a short journey. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

FF

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi if it was me i would have the old bearing pressed out and a new pressed back in as it would be a matter of safety to me and other road users but on saying this it could go on the thousands of miles but i would not like to put money on this,i do not know much about Clio front wheel bearings but i have just replaced one myself on my espace £50 bearing and £20 to have the old one pressed out and the new one pressed back into the ABS hub,it may be that the big driveshaft nut as came lose or the bearing has collapsed but either way i would replace it,when you buy a new wheel bearing the big nut should be changed as to have a tight fight again,i hope this helps Donald.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I take it to a garage, will they replace the big nut as part of the job, or do I need to ask them to do this as an additional job?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have got a good price from a local garage to have the work done, so do most people think it is the wheel bearing causing the issue, below is a brief summary of the situation.

1. Helicopter vibration noise.
2. A lot of play in the front drivers side wheel
3. Play reduced dramatically when large hub nut tightened.
4. No noise now, but could be an audible squeak, but that could be unrelated and it is not loud at all (also could be my imagination)
5. Driving at least 300 miles on Monday

Additional:- Rather than using a Renault brand bearing they will be fitting an SKF Bearing are these a good quality make?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi not sure about the Clio but when i bought my wheel bearing you get a new nut with the kit as Chrism has said if you do not get one then buy it as the nylon part cannot be used twice,mines was not nylon but steel tapered,yes that bearing will do the job just fine so go for it all the best Donald.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts