Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

i've had my clio mk2 1.2 for nearly 2 years, and in the whole time, the fuel ligh has never worked when low on petrol.

i was wondering if anyone new things i could check before replacing the instrument cluster?

also a possible semi-related issue, sometimes when i brake, the fog light led partially illuminates (sometimes faintly, sometimes brightly (depending on how hard i brake), sometimes it flickers, and more annoyingly, its temperamental, so most of the time its fine however the actual fog light doesn't illuminate, so im wondering if there's some kind of short on the instrument cluster?? any ideas??

Kind regards
Jack Lindsay

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
i was wondering if anyone new things i could check before replacing the instrument cluster?
Not sure if the fuel tank has a separate sensor for critically low levels, or if that's taken internally in the cluster, directly from the level gauge.

Try running the self test, by keeping the button at the end of the wiper stalk pressed, while you turn on the ignition. (No need to start the engine.)
All the lights should light up fine, and the gauge needles should be all over the place, and you can let go of the wiper stalk button.

Once done, turn off the ignition again to exit the self-test mode.

also a possible semi-related issue, sometimes when i brake, the fog light led partially illuminates (sometimes faintly, sometimes brightly (depending on how hard i brake), sometimes it flickers, and more annoyingly, its temperamental, so most of the time its fine however the actual fog light doesn't illuminate, so im wondering if there's some kind of short on the instrument cluster??
Which of the fog light indicators light up in the dash? The front ones or the rear ones?

If it's the rear ones, then I'd undo the rear light cluster on the side where the fog light is, and unplug the connector going to the cluster.
If you see any signs of corrosion, I'd advise going over it with some contact cleaner spray (Please, don't use WD40 here!),
and once this dries up, plug the cluster back in, and refit it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi costeau,
thanks for the quick reply

i'll run that self test on my lunch break and see what happens.
i'f i dont have a button at the end of the stalk, what other button would it be (cant remember if i have one or not)?

also its the rear fogs, my car doesn't have front fog lights (yet)

Thanks
Jack

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
i'll run that self test on my lunch break and see what happens.
i'f i dont have a button at the end of the stalk, what other button would it be (cant remember if i have one or not)?
I'm quite sure you have at least one button at the end of the wiper stalk. Some vehicles are equipped with two, and in that case it'll be the upper one.
This button is usually meant for cycling through the screens of the trip computer.
also its the rear fogs, my car doesn't have front fog lights (yet)
Ok. Would it be the same fog light indicator that lights up when you hit the brakes as when you turn on the rear fogs, then? And in same colour?
If yes, that does point me even further in the direction of a corroded rear light cluster connector.

Adding front fogs could be easy, if the wiring loom is already there.
In that case, it should be just a matter of getting the lamps and a new indicator stalk, that has switch for both front and rear fogs, perhaps the fuses too.

If there's no pre-wired loom for them, however, it'll take a bit more blood, sweat, and tears.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i just had a look and my wiper stalk doesn't have any buttons on the end, the manual agree's with you and says there should be a button which goes through the screens, but mine doesn't, only my indicator/headlight stalk has a button on the end, which is for the horn

thanks
jack

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
ok i just had a look and my wiper stalk doesn't have any buttons on the end, the manual agree's with you and says there should be a button which goes through the screens, but mine doesn't, only my indicator/headlight stalk has a button on the end, which is for the horn
Ok. Would your odometer/trip counter happen to be digital?
In that case, there should be a reset button for the trip counter in the instrument panel itself,
and a second button to alternate between the views of odometer and trip counter.
Perhaps this will do the same as that button at the end of the wiper stalk that isn't there.

If you have analog odometer and trip counter, you wouldn't have this feature,
and in that case, only the garage can do an instrument cluster self test, as far as I know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my counter is digital, but i only have 1 button, which resets the trip.
i've just checked my car, and i held the "trip" button in for about 5 or so seconds and the gauges started going up and down.

not sure want im meant to be looking for but for the first time, i noticed the fuel light, light up when i turned the ignition

regards
jack

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
my counter is digital, but i only have 1 button, which resets the trip.
i've just checked my car, and i held the "trip" button in for about 5 or so seconds and the gauges started going up and down.
That's the self test mode I was referring to.

not sure want im meant to be looking for but for the first time, i noticed the fuel light, light up when i turned the ignition
That means that the light itself isn't broken.
If it still doesn't light up when it's supposed to (i.e. when you're low on fuel), then I suspect there might be something related to the fuel sender (fuel level sensor) itself.
If the fuel level values and the low signal are transmitted on separate wires, there could be a wiring issue as well.

It may also well be that the fuel light works as it should now. Keep an eye on it, just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.