Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so i have just got back from the drive of shame, my clio 02 1.5 dci 65 has just let me down, driving along at 60mph and the engine lost a bit of power and then pumped a bit of smoke so i came off the accelerator then the car juddered and then the car on its own accord floored it. i pulled over and then the engine PUMPED and i mean PUMPED out smoke. as in days of thunder style smoke everywhere. of course I took the key out the ignition and the engine didn't stop after like a couple of seconds panic the engine stop but boiled over. I'm no expert but that's not a good thing.

My friends at the AA got me back home, had the option of garage but figured the cost of a garage sorting the problems would be as much as a new car to replace it. so figured bring it home see whats up and go from there.

I havent attempted to restart it yet as i figure that will probably do more bad than good.

Im not afraid to have a go at sorting it as i figure i cant do any more damage.

The obviousy thing is that the turbo has given up, white smoke you see with black deposits on the ground by the exhuast and thinking back the car was using oil, not at a great pace but needed topping up every now and then.

Any pointers as to whats the cause and resolution?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Ok so i have just got back from the drive of shame, my clio 02 1.5 dci 65 has just let me down, driving along at 60mph and the engine lost a bit of power and then pumped a bit of smoke so i came off the accelerator then the car juddered and then the car on its own accord floored it. i pulled over and then the engine PUMPED and i mean PUMPED out smoke. as in days of thunder style smoke everywhere. of course I took the key out the ignition and the engine didn't stop after like a couple of seconds panic the engine stop but boiled over. I'm no expert but that's not a good thing.

My friends at the AA got me back home, had the option of garage but figured the cost of a garage sorting the problems would be as much as a new car to replace it. so figured bring it home see whats up and go from there.

I havent attempted to restart it yet as i figure that will probably do more bad than good.

Im not afraid to have a go at sorting it as i figure i cant do any more damage.

The obviousy thing is that the turbo has given up, white smoke you see with black deposits on the ground by the exhuast and thinking back the car was using oil, not at a great pace but needed topping up every now and then.

Any pointers as to whats the cause and resolution?

Recently had a similar experience with the Lag, hence it's on the way out, although I was luckily parked near home.

One thing I would love to have heard from a mechanic when it happened was 'there are likely to be other problems caused after a turbo failure', but the first two mechanics who looked at it (one an AA man) just said replace turbo it will be fine. The third who looked said 'If I had seen this first I would have told you not to bother' something which would have been hard but would have saved me a significant bundle of cash.

I did replace the turbo as advised, you have to trust the 'professionals', don't you? Having done this I found myself with an ever growing list of things to fix, having spent too much I still have a car which has very likely got screwed piston rings on top of everything else. I can get it running and after a lot of warming up it is just about drivable and will be trading it in later this week for a BMW.

I wish you the best of luck, but get other mechanics/experts to look at it first before you commit to anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice, i had a look on fleabay as spairs and repairs and could probably raise £500, still has near a full year MOT, new engine is 600-700 quid plus fitting, so more inclined to take a leaf out of your book and change it. but not sure whether to stick to renault

the laguna thats uphttp://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201122389496952/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/price-to/2000/fuel-type/diesel/radius/10/postcode/lu28qu/page/1?logcode=p

im stumped now, was supposed to be at a training course 45 miles from here today. bad timing.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
thanks for the advice, i had a look on fleabay as spairs and repairs and could probably raise £500, still has near a full year MOT, new engine is 600-700 quid plus fitting, so more inclined to take a leaf out of your book and change it. but not sure whether to stick to renault

the laguna thats uphttp://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...el/radius/10/postcode/lu28qu/page/1?logcode=p

im stumped now, was supposed to be at a training course 45 miles from here today. bad timing.
Nice looking car and they are lovely to drive, particularly if you do lot's of cruising on motorways. The trade price for that is around £1500 but the mileage does increase it a little, if you go for it try for a better price or push them for a free service or warranty upgrade, it is surprising how keen dealers are to sell cars these days. I just talked £4000 off my 'new' car from a dealer :d

It may be best to get what you can rather than spen lot's and possibly get nowhere with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.