Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone :d

I'm new to this forum but hope you can help with the frustrating problem I'm having with my 51 plate Clio1.2 16v.

I bought this car in an auction only the other day, it drove through the auction ok and seemed like a nice little car. When I went to collect it, it would not start, the battery was flat so we used a power pack to jump start it.

Initially the car starts fine, but after about 20 seconds of running it seems to go into some sort of limp mode with the revs hovering around 700, the warning light that looks like the windings of a coil comes on and there is no response at all to the throttle.

The car sits there ticking over at around 700 revs, sometimes it can do this for quite some time and other times it stalls quite quickly after going into 'limp mode'. After it stalls there is a ticking sound from a filter or valve of some type located under the driver side headlight (what is this?).

After searching this forum I decided it was the tdc sensor that needed replacing so I went along to the *********** and bought one, all to no avail though, new tdc fitted same problem.

The car has done this every time I have started it since buying it and as auction cars are sold as seen I had to get a recovery truck to bring it home. :mad:

This car has only done 56,000 miles. I am now running out of ideas, has anyone else experienced anything similar, does anyone have any advice, please help, thanks :)

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
if you can get it running and drive it i would take it to a local garage that has diagnostic equipetment. that will show up what the problem is

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
I would suspect a pencil coil has failed and will need replacing. If you do not replace then obviously the car won't run properly, as one cylander will not be firing, but also there is a higher chance of damage to the CAT from unburnt fuel. As benellie says if it were put on a diagnostic when the fault is present a code will be generated to indicate the nature of the problem.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
As said before,get it recovered to your local garage(not main dealership unless you know of a good surgeon to amputate an arm and a leg:)),and get them to read the fault codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice guys, I will be towing it to a garage in the week to have it looked at, not the main dealer though as I know how they like to charge.

I guess I was kinda hoping someone would recognise these symptoms and tell me it was a common fault and what I had to do to sort it. Not so sure about the coils (although I could be wrong) as surely if the coils were damaged it wouldn't run okay for those first 20 seconds or so would it?

On a slightly different topic, does anyone know of any diagnostic software out there for Renault, my other car's a VW and I have the excellent VAG.com , just connect it up to the car and you know what you're loking at in seconds, inexpensive too, there must be a Renault version surely?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Limp mode clio

H Scousejohn - a faulty oxygen sensor could also have the same effect - thats whats been happening to the poor people that got the dodgy fuels recently. Hope it doesn't cost too much to fix. As a matter if interest what were the terms of the sale at auction - if adverttised as scrap or damaged - you probably have no come-back. But if advertised as being a runner and it obviously isn't you may be able to get your money back. As far as I know the Sale of Goods Act applies to auctions ( the price paid is not an issue). It 's just like you if you bought a Picasso and when you got it home it wasn't - you would definitely have rights. I suggest you contact your local council for advice. I have been to many car auctions in my life and never was I tempted. You'll find genuine cars are put into auctions - simply because they can be sold easily elsewhere. Cars are usually sold at auction as a last resort. Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware). My old man used to say "buy cheap and you'll end up paying twice" - maybe there's an element of truth in what he says.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts