Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help Help Help!! 1.8 16v Conversion!

i have a 1.2 1995 show car clio an i have jus picked up a 1993 1.8 16v to go in. i am scappin the abs but keeping brakes does any1 no anything about if i have to change inside wiring loom as it does match up in box in engine bay??????
also fuel pump???
rear beam or should hubs fit on beam at moment obvious the handbrake cable will have to be done as i have drums an i am converting to discs!!

HELP HELP HELP PLEASE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mk1 Clio Engine Transplants?

I'm toying with the idea of making the clio a bit faster. What sort of conversions are done to clios? Am I right in thinking that the mk1 cleos are fitted with the cleon engine which is the same engine that's in the GT Turbo minus the blowe? So would it would litterally be swapping the lumps and gearboxes around? I remember seeing somebody sticking a Volvo B18FT engine in a clio too. Somebody told me the B18FT was build by Renault for Volvo so it's an easy transplant to do. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It would be far easier to change the engine for one that has already been used in a Clio,i.e 1.8 16 valve or even the 2litre 16 valve.:)

In all honesty though,16 valve Clios are cheap enough now,so I'd save the money you'd spend on a conversion and buy a complete car.That way,the brakes and suspension would already have been uprated to cope with the extra power and performance.

As far as I know,the engine from the 5 turbo was never used in a Clio,but I could wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I was thinking of a 1.8 conversion. I don't really want to buy a 16v my friend and I are really bored, want to learn have a clio to experiment with. There's a 1.8 at a breakers not far from me that's been in a collision i'll see how much they want for the engine and box.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The 16 valve engine is definately the way to go,and our friends at GDI have masses of experience in tuning them,so I'd give them a call or an email and get them to give you some advice.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, the breakers has not one but two 16v cleos to choose from with everything on them!! What a result. If I find a sound engine and box which i'm sure i'll be able to find between two of them I'll get the conversion underway.

I'll defo post progress of the conversion. We're going to try to make it a sleeper so I was thinking of some quite subtle alloy wheels maybe Minilies?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Renault - Clio - Engine Transplant

Hi Ppl.I Am Curios As To Wether You Can Fit A Renault 21 2 Litre Turbo Engine Into A Renault Clio Mk1.I Have Both Cars Sitting,And The 21 Shell Has Rotted Beyond Repair.Also,If You Cant Transplant The 21 Engine,How Hard Is It To Transplant A Volvo 440 1.8 Turbo Engine?

Thank You.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi mate ive done different engine conversions on different cars over the past few years, and anything is possible, the engine should fit in the bay fine you would need to fabricate or adapt the engine mounts on the 21 engine or clio, the main problem you would run into would be the wiring loom you should look at haynes manuals for the 21 and clio and renault wiring documents these should all help, as for the volvo engine that would fit fine you would need the mounts from a clio 16v as the bottom ends are the same as the volvo engine again the problem i forsee is the wiring loom, im transplanting a volvo engine into my 5 when im on my xmas break

Prab

·
Registered
4 Posts
Engine transplant info needed ASAP

hi i own a renny clio mk1 1.2 its r reg' would a 20lt 16v laguna engine (W reg') fit? if not how much modification is needed? if so what problems will i face do any of you have any tips or advice?

i need replys asap because im looking to get the ball rolling before sunday (14/10/07)

cheers in advance

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Blimey,this is a bit involved for a first question,but I'll try my best!.:)

Firstly,yes in theory the engine will fit,but a lot of modification work needs to be carried out.You will need the gearbox,driveshafts,wiring loom and the ECU for the 2 litre engine,and also all the ancilliaries(alternator etc).The wiring loom will need to be modified to fit the car too.The engine mounts will need to be modified,as will the driveshafts..........You might also have to get the ECU modified to by pass the immobiliser,or you'll need the key chip and ignition ring from the 2 litre doner car.

The exhaust will need a modified manifold and down pipe,and I suspect that the bonnet will need to be changed(possibily for a 16v version) to give some clearance for the new engine.Things like the radiator and coolant hoses will all have to be changed too......

It's an involved job,and will take plenty of time and patience,and even once the engine is in you'll need to uprate the brakes and suspension to cope with the extra weight and power.

Personally,I'd save up for a Clio 16v or a Williams.:)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts