Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum,anything is possible if your willing to put money and time in,i would like to say good for you for giving it a try moding is not everyones cup of tea it is mine but iam more old school;) the way i look at it if you want to do it and you like it then thats all that counts it does not matter what anyone else thinks,i hope all goes well for you and please keep us updated all the very best Donald

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi N-raged,

WOW :eek: ... not for the feint-hearted ... IMHO if your doing this for the sake of modding your wheels ... well go for it ... and have deep pockets and a lot of time.

If your doing this because you need a replacement lump or you want more performance .... save your money and put it to buying a better car ... with insurance, broken fingernails and heartache on the horizon ... its the way I'd go ... you can pick up a semi reasonable 172 Clio on a "W" or "X" plate for 2-3K if you look hard .... a much better way forward in my book, and it will still need some work done.

Wish you all the best which ever way you jump.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks!

thanks for all the feed back its great and its all helpfull which is rare on message boards.

as much as i would love a new clio i only have a grand to work with plus i prefur the older shape clios! plus my old girl aint to shabby so i wanna stick with the '1.2' look but be able to dust a 1.4 or VTR and leave em thinking 'what the f*** did he do to his car :) i have a complete donor car which cost me £250 and thts the WHOLE car and me and my mates dads (whos a mecanic) will be doin the project asa hobby on nites and weekends.

the main reason is the feeling of accomplishment and pride when i start her up and drive her down the street knowing 'i did this' will be worth every penny and heart ache i face!

if theres any more i could do with knowing please leave me feedback because i could do with all the advice from fine enthusiasts like yourselfs ;)

i will upload pics and such as it begins to take shape should be starting it roughly on 20/10/07

cheers for the feedback so far any more would be great!

cheers

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
As you have the complete donor car,your already over half way there.:)

I'm sorry if my comments sounded a but negative,but I have been involved in a few engine transplants,and they have usually been filled with heart break!.As you have the complete 2 litre car,pretty much everything you'll need is there,so that will make it much easier.What has happened to me in the past is one of my mates has bought an engine from the scrappies with no wiring loom,ECU nor b#gger all!.:d.That gets tricky.....

The best of luck to you,and if you could keep us all updated with progress it would great.:)

Are you stripping the Lag for other parts?.If so,what colour is the front bumper,and is it in good condition?.:d

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Are you stripping the Lag for other parts?.If so,what colour is the front bumper,and is it in good condition?.:d

Lag, what are you like .... :p still if you dont ask :devil:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
As you have the complete donor car,your already over half way there.:)

I'm sorry if my comments sounded a but negative,but I have been involved in a few engine transplants,and they have usually been filled with heart break!.As you have the complete 2 litre car,pretty much everything you'll need is there,so that will make it much easier.What has happened to me in the past is one of my mates has bought an engine from the scrappies with no wiring loom,ECU nor b#gger all!.:d.That gets tricky.....

The best of luck to you,and if you could keep us all updated with progress it would great.:)

Stig in the dump springs to mind:rofl: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Lag, what are you like .... :p still if you dont ask :devil:
:d

No harm in asking!.:d:d:d

I'm hoping that it's Alize Beige and it's like new.....and that he only wants a fiver for it and he'll deliver it for free!.:d

Only joking......:).

I'm desperate for the blanking plate that fits into the hole where the towing eye goes!.I was promised one by another member but it never arrived.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
my lil beauty arrived to day :d shes abit bashd and bruzed bt all her mecanics look feel and smell sound lol! aint had her running yet as it was dark when she arrived am hoping al stick a battery in n she'll start lol bt well see al also take pictures 2moz in the light and post em

n am sorry lagdti i think midnite blue soz m8

al post pics 2moz

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Has it still got the cover on the front bumper for the towing eye?.If so I have cash(and a spray can of Alize Beige!) waiting...:d

·
Registered
4 Posts
i will look 2moz lagdti cuz its pitch black on the drive (damn council street lights!) the front bumber is trashd on the passanger side but if its still ther intact well sort summat or if you have a hanynes manual for a N reg (that yr range if ya gt me) well swap ;) lol have you any more advice m8 for this conversion? or about maintaning lags? mechanical probs they have ect

·
Registered
31 Posts
Go for it!

Nice one N-raged! Thats the way to do it.

Sticking the 2.0l 16v in the Clio 1.2 is a great idea. I used to drive loads of modified mini's about!

One good thing will be that whoever your insurance co. is, they will base your premium on the Clio 1.2 and add the loading from there. Ie your insurance will be cheaper putting the 2.0 16v in the Clio 1.2 than if you put it in say a Clio 1.8RSi.

My insurance co. also wanted me to have an engineers report carried out on the car - not as scary as it sounds. They just wanted an approved somebody to look at the car and make sure the brakes/susp could handle the raised power.

My insurance co. for modified cars was SABRE Insurance Co. Don't know if they're still about but they were ALOT less aggro than Adrian Flux.

Oh and if the Lag has no history then CHANGE the cambelt with a Renault Kit!:)

Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
i was offered a 2.0 laguna 16v, to transplant the engine into my R5, i was advised against it as its not a tuneable engine i was told by prima, and hte cost of fabrication for mounts and hte headache of wiring is enough to put anyone off!, id advise going for a 1.4 gt turbo engine, volvo 480 turbo engine, or 1.8 16v/2.0 williams engine as after you change the mounts it drops right in! and you can purchase looms from prima racing

·
Registered
31 Posts
The early RTI 2.0S engine (N7Q), not the one the N-raged has unfortunately, is the same engine as the 1948cc Volvo T4 - 200bhp as std and can be chipped to 240 :rofl: . Seriously thinking of dropping one in my sLag :crazy:

I would imagine the later Renault 2.0 16v engine must be around 140bhp aswell? Not too bad if you've picked up the donor car for peanuts. Having the donor car already means it would yeild all the little niggly bits that add up to £££ when you only have the engine.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
In theory it would probably be dooable but the 21 turbo engine sits the wrong way round both are front wheel drive but you would have lots of things to change on the 21 engine to fit in transverse position as clio is

volvo turbo engine/box much better idea

Why not sell the 21 engine and buy a whole 440 turbo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, i have a mk1 1.2 1997 clio phase 2 and i was thinking of putting in a renault 5 gt turbo engine jst a few things i wanna find out, erm would the engine actually fit in, apart from having to strengthen the engine mounts , upgrade the brakes a suspensin genral stuff like that what are the main problems i would run into. any advice will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Hello, i have a mk1 1.2 1997 clio phase 2 and i was thinking of putting in a renault 5 gt turbo engine jst a few things i wanna find out, erm would the engine actually fit in, apart from having to strengthen the engine mounts , upgrade the brakes a suspensin genral stuff like that what are the main problems i would run into. any advice will be appreciated.
I'm not trying to push you away from here, but you may get s better response on the RTOC site.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts