Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine keeps running after I remove the ignition key on my 03 1.2 16V Expression!! I've discovered by accident that instead of stalling the engine I can stop it by pressing the clutch and foot brake simultaniously!! However, that still leaves the dash lights on. The only way I can turn them off is to disconnect the battery. This is happening 4 or 5 times a week and is driving me crazy. It is the same with the spare key. Has anybody any ideas please?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The petrol engine keeps running after I remove the ignition key on my 03 1.2 16V Expression!! I've discovered by accident that instead of stalling the engine I can stop it by pressing the clutch and foot brake simultaniously!! However, that still leaves the dash lights on. The only way I can turn them off is to disconnect the battery. This is happening 4 or 5 times a week and is driving me crazy. It is the same with the spare key. Has anybody any ideas please?

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
This is nothing to do with the key it is most likely dampness in the uch or possibly underbonnet fusebox

Is your passenger floor wet ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. All the fuse boards, relay boards, electrical boxes, etc. appear to be be bone dry. All the floors appear to be dry also.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Has to be a bad earth then check all the earths both underbonnet and inside just because they are connected does not mean they are good

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Weird Positive Feed to Clio Ignition

The ignition circuit on my 2003 1.2 16V Clio is getting a positive feed from somewhere. Even with the ignition switch disconnected!!! Are there any usual suspects or could it becoming from anywhere? Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clio Ignition Positive Feed

My 1.2 16V 2003 Clio has a permanent positive feed to the ignition circuit. Even with the ignition switch unplugged!! Where are the most likely sources please? Are there any tests I can do to locate the source? Thanks very much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2003 Clio Mk 2 1.2 16V Relay Locations

Apart from next to the engine bay fuses, in the uch and attached to the outside of the uch, are there relays in any other locations please?
I think I've got a sticking relay but I can't find it. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Re: 2003 Clio Mk 2 1.2 16V Relay Locations

What is the problem?.Many functions of the car are no longer controlled by relays,they are controlled by the UCH it's self.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: 2003 Clio Mk 2 1.2 16V Relay Locations

Hi Lagdti. Thanks for the reply. The problem is a permanent positive feed to the ignition circuit. Manifested by the dash warning lights (and sometimes the engine continuing to run) after I remove the ignition key.
So far I have:
Unplugged and removed the ignition switch, the uch, the alternator, the fuses in the panel by the near side door, the fuses in the engine bay by the battery (removing two of those stops the positive feed). I have also disconnected all leads to the starter motor, cleaned all the earths I can find, repaired the worn down wires under the metal box that covers the ecu plug at the rear of the engine, visually inspected all harnesses, looked inside the uch (it looks as good as new and the fact that the positive feed is still there when the uch is removed suggests to me that the uch is not the cause - but I could be wrong).
So I suspect a sticking relay that I can't find or a harness fault - but I be could wrong and would appreciate any ideas. Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clio Electrical Fault?

Is it normal to read 12 volts on a multimeter between the engine block and the negative post on the battery when everything is switched off and the negative lead to the battery has been removed?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Re: Clio Electrical Fault?

Yes - there are numerous circuits which need a power source continually - the radio being only one and then there's the ECU, etc.

What amount of current (in milliamps) flowing would be a better guide as to whether the car had an abnormal prarsitic voltage drain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Clio Mk 2 Fuse Blowing

What does the 15 amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box control? I can't start my 2003, 1.2 16V model and it keeps blowing. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
It's possible that the fuse is for the fuel injection circuit.
If you follow the wire from the bottom of the fuse it might run to the engine loom. At least you will be able to concentrate on this area of the car.
It would be worth unplugging the engine ecu and seeing if the fault has gone.
If it still blows, leave ecu unplugged and test if the output side of the fuse is going to earth. It could also be shorting to other wires.
I think some members have had problems in the loom where it runs below the battery tray. If you take the battery and tray off the car it will give better access to check the loom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is nothing to do with the key it is most likely dampness in the uch or possibly underbonnet fusebox

my floor is wet have same problem and happened after battery drained after leaving side lights on so jumped it and wouldnt turn off had to disconnect negative battery lead having probs starting now batterys dead cant jump off battery pack which im charging then see if she starts and i dont know where to look or what the uch is any help would be much appreciated clio 2006 1,5 tdi extreme

·
Registered
4 Posts
The engine keeps running after I remove the ignition key on my 03 1.2 16V Expression!! I've discovered by accident that instead of stalling the engine I can stop it by pressing the clutch and foot brake simultaniously!! However, that still leaves the dash lights on. The only way I can turn them off is to disconnect the battery. This is happening 4 or 5 times a week and is driving me crazy. It is the same with the spare key. Has anybody any ideas please?
the problem is carbon/laquers building up in the engine causing high temperatures in engine
the solution is to give it an engine flush and oil change do the oil filter while you are at it forgot i had a haynes manual

1 - 20 of 20 Posts