Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
well ive just won a bit of money (£600). I'm in the mood to spend a lil bit on my clio about £250 but no more than £300. its completely standard apart from the alloys and the K&N panel filter..

i was thinking of getting a remap done by angel tuning. (any1 had experience with them? any feedback?) to increase drivability and get rid of the little flat spots..

my cars is approaching 58,000 and i need it to last me another 2 years.. the remap wont reduce the life of the engine that much will it?

or what about sumthing like a BMC CDA Airbox.. would that be better? been offered £200 to fit that as you will need to modify it quite a bit..

what would you do? remap ? airbox? or would you do sumthing else, if so what?

or lol, would it just be better to keep the money in my pocket and leave it for maintenance and repairs.. :rolleyes:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Personally I would leave it and spend my money on something else. Any other mods would also add to your insurance premium and fuel bill. Probably not significantly but surprising how it mounts up.
I know you have to start somewhere but £250 of improvements to the engine probably wouldn't significantly alter the performance either. Maybe a few extra bhp on the rolling road, but once driving you may be hard pressed to tell the difference.
That said a remap probably will improve the car slightly, but at the end of the day its whether it is worth spending that amount of money on that improvement.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Tuning and modding isn't cheap -I can't figure these guys who think that by bolting on a few bits and remap will give them bags more power. £2000 might make a difference but that would more than the car is worth. If you want a car to last and remain reliable leave it alone. One young guy who lives near me bought a Ford Fiesta for £750 and then spent the best part of £2000 on a sound system - he asked me how could he make it go faster -I told get rid of the sound system which was adding weight. A cars performance is very much to do with the power to weight ratio - yet these guys keep adding tacky bits and bobs on to their machines. I can't figure them out. If you want to go quicker reduce the weight of the car or go to weightwatchers.:rofl: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If you haven't already had it done,I'd spend it on getting the cambelt changed!.:)

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
personally youre wasting your money doing engine mods on your car,as for the money you spend vs the power you actually get is not cost effective

even remapping would only manage to get an extra 10bhp from you engine for £245 + vat ???

so imo try other things like cosmetic or audio equipment would make better sense

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I would buy a decent suspension kit roughly £180-190 and have your car lowered and suspension stiffened, clios love to lose the back end...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts