Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm totally stumped and wondering if anyone has any ideas
Ive got a Clio mk2, 1998, 1.2 8v, totally standard, 60k miles if this is of any importance ?!

About 2 months ago a low pitched squealing starting coming from the drivers front wheel area. It only happens when you hit about 30mph and get to 4th or 5th gear and start easing off the gas. As you lift up the gas pedal and the car starts to coast, you get the noise. The noise doesnt stop or start with braking, and it doesnt stop or start with clutch or gearing - its solely isolated to the drivers front wheel.

My fella is no expert but knows a bit more than I do, hes driven it and seemed to think it could be bearing noise. When he puts clutch in and steers to the right you can hear the noise. Similarly when you go round a corner at low speed you can hear it squeaking at a different pitch.

So its been for 3 opinions in garages, its been on an MOT 'shaker plate' [?] twice, one mechanic has been out for a drive in it and heard the noise... and the diagnosis so far is inconclusive.
Im told its not brakes, and its not the bearing either. The tyres are ok, but it is a noise thats happening with the wheel rotation.

Im being quoted £250 / £300 to change the bearing and cv joint and just hope it works. Its an £800 car so I cant really afford to start playing trial and error with hundreds of pounds unless I know thats actually the problem. Someone mentioned a drive shaft issue - does this sound right?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
im no mechanic but do have a bit of experience and knowledge. listening to what uve said it sounds to me like a wheel bearing but u say uve had that checked, as for the drive shaft (cv joint) they usually have a knocking noise as apose to a squeak/squeal and they usually get noiseier depending on wich way your turning they also usually get noisier the faster you go. are you sure its definatly coming from the drivers side front wheel? a decent garage/mechanic should be able to identify the problem if its a bearing or cv joint. my advice would be to jack the car up and spin the wheel, rock the wheel, turn the wheel while spinning it and try listening for the noise and see if you can identify where exactly the noise is coming from. have u had the brakes checked? they arent catching etc? the calipers could need servicing or just the pads out and a clean up and re-grease. hope this helps.
try like i said jacking it up. keep us posted

thanks
stu

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - thanks for reply

The second garage who drove it called me [ and partner ] in while they had it jacked up so we could go in and take a look ourselves.

when you spin the front drivers wheel there is a noise that happens once every rotation for a second. It sounds like a faint squeak / grind, but its not happening constantly during the rotation like a binding brake would - it only squeaks once. all my brakes including discs were replaced 6 months ago.

interestingly i know the rear passenger bearing is on its way out - we spun that wheel and heard the slight rumbling sound of the bearing going, so i know that needs doing eventually but its definitely not where the noise is coming from.

the noise from the front drivers wheel is more of a droning low pitched squeal, and it is pretty damn loud too! when its doing it you can hear it coming up the road a mile off!

I would say the noise is getting worse with time. When you accelerate and put some force through the wheels the noise is relieved, when you ease off the gas and the car cruises on its own weight the noise comes back with a vengeance. its definitely front drivers wheel, at speed i can even feel it vibrating slightly under my feet. also when turning corners you can notice a slight knock. it didnt knock with the noise before, but its started knocking a bit now so i know something is getting worse!!

totally at a loss as to what to do now...... 2 garages are telling me they cant find a problem, 1 garage has heard the problem and is suggesting new cv joint and bearing for £250 but theyre not gonna guarantee that will fix it.

Maybe I could get my fella to jack it up and get the wheel off, but unless we really know what we're looking at we havent got much hope. Maybe I should just take it back to garage no2 and let them replace the joint and bearing? Fingers crossed?? :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK heres an update, and it hasnt become any clearer Im afraid.

Ive tried to find the fault myself to no avail. The only conclusion I could come to was it must be a bearing or CV joint. The brakes are new and theres nothing wrong. The suspension is fine as I just paid to have one of the front springs replaced. I just paid for a new CV boot which blew a few months ago and the grease went everywhere... everything is tickety boo, supposedly.

The Clio has been into the THIRD garage for diagnosis and this is the third garage who cant find the problem. 2 garages reckon theyve driven it round the block and can't hear anything. (rubbish, when you go round corners at slow speed you can hear a rumbling knock and a high pitched squeak) plus they seem to be ignoring me when I say you need to drive it for at least 5minutes / a couple miles before the noise kicks in.

In short, it needs a bit of "warming up time" before it happens.

Anyway, again im told no its not the bearing and we can't find anything wrong. I suggested taking them out for a drive in it, they didn't think this would help them. At this stage all I want to know is whats wrong so I can decide whether to sell it or keep it.

The noise is SO LOUD when it starts doing it, its not even something I can tolerate to just drive it round and wait for something to break.... Any more thoughts??? :mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ha, Ive been sent on this forum by my partner to find an answer to this exact same problem on her W reg clio. The noise only happens when its warmed up, when you ease off the accelerator pedal, and no and then. But the noise is loud and worrying for her. I,ve read on another thread maybe the drive shaft or checking power steering fluid level. If I find out the cause I,ll let you know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think we might have found what the problem is

Eventually after 3 months of driving with the noise i've ended up with 2 grooves in the front drivers brake disc

Did some more research and found the most likely cause of the intermittant noise is caliper slider pins sticking, which i guess would explain the loud 'metal on metal' noise

This would also coincide with the fact that it only seems to be happening once the car has warmed up and driven a few miles

Hopefully it'll be easy [and cheap] to solve with some rubber grease on the pins, shame its got to the stage where its damaged the disc though.....

Dont know if that helps you at all? Did you find anything in the end??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not found anything myself. Last week one of the rear brake shoe pads actually fell off the shoes. I replaced both sides, hoping in vain that somehow this might have been the problem with the noise as well. but my partner says its still there when she,s been driving for a few miles.
Thanks for that info, i,ll check those caliper pins out on the front

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I did have a Clio 2 in the workshop the other day which made an intermittant noise (a groan which sounded like a really bad wheel bearing) from the offside front corner whilst driving and when the car had been driven for a few miles,that was down to a dry outer CV joint.The gaiter looked recent so I guess the previous one split and leaked all the grease out of it,the person who replaced it didn't refill the joint with new grease.We had a second hand driveshaft in stock which was fitted and the car has been spot on ever since.It's definately worth having a look to see if the gaiters look original or not.

The caliper slides being seized will also cause a nasty noise,the brake disc will gradually heat up and then it will start making a groaning noise,sometimes it will also cause a vibration under braking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the extra info
The first garage I took the car to when the noise started found a blown gaitor , which has been replaced and packed with new grease. he also found a cracked suspension spring, but this was on the other side - i had it replaced anyway

I drove it round for another few hours, and the noise started again

He couldnt work out what the problem was and suggested a new cv joint, but I was reluctant to start playing trial and error with a garage replacing parts 'willy nilly'! Not on an £800 car!

Finally the third garage I took it to said they couldnt find any immediate problems but theyve come across sticking caliper pins in renaults before, and sure enough I've now got a few grooves appearing in the disc. Im really hoping thats what it is - Ive got so annoyed with the cost of fuel and my noisy car lately that ive started getting the train!!!!!!!

I'll invest some more time and money in it next month :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem with my Clio III 1.2 (09 plate 20,000 miles) I took it to the garage and all they could find was some rust on the brake disc which they cleared for the pricely sum of 80 quid. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. Any ideas because I am a bit miffed! Someone has suggested putting lemon juice on my brake discs????:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sticking caliper pins. Causes notches to be grooved out of your discs and allows weathering hence rust. My disc ended up discoloured where it looked like the friction had caused burning. Take it to a local garage, not halfords! And telll them you think youve got a sticking caliper cos your disc is being scored and going rusty, should be as simple as getting the caliper off and easing it up a bit. It really does create a hell of a racket when it sticks, mine sounds like the front wheels gonna come off sometimes!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmmmmm ... I had this noise before Christmas and then it disapeared - it's not back with a vengence, louder than ever :-(

I have a 1.2 Clio 'R' reg, Grande :-(

I hope it isnt doing any permanant damage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did you guys find out what was wrong with the car ? Im having the same issue. I have a squeaking noise when turning left or even when driving down a straight road. the noise appears mostly when I press the accelerator, deffinately sounds like its coming from the a front wheel.
I jacked the front wheels up one by one and when I turn them they feel a bit rough when turning but I dont know whether this is due to the fact both front wheels were not jacked up at the same time

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nope - not a clue.
*Touch wood* it has gone and I haven't heard it for a long time now - all is well with my Clio, 93000 and going strong!! :-D

(I do recognise the exact same symptoms as you however)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same problem! my clio is a 02 dci and its been doing it the last 2 weeks ive done abit of motorway driving and it only seems to happen now and then the noise is soo annoying im thinking of selling it! but its been so reliable till now.. dont know what to do

1 - 15 of 15 Posts