Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to fit new discs to my Clio (see Clio II - Track Rod End MOT failure) and took the wheel off last night.

Chris M's FAQ says that the screws on his Laguna are Torx size T40. I tried a T40 on mine, and it was very loose, so I assumed I must need the next size up, and T40 is the biggest I have (didn't even try turning it, as I don't want to risk damaging the head).

Does anyone know for sure what size is correct for a 2004 Clio 1.2 16v ?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Hello, just looked in my Draper Tool book, they list a T45, T50 and T55 after the T40. If you have a local too stockist see if they have any bits in stock, there are only a few quid each. Hope this helps, regards Damian.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Utter confusion on my part.

Last time I'd used my Torx bit set, I'd put the T30 back in the T40 slot, so when I tried what I thought was a T40, it was actually a T30 (and was too small).

I realised that a couple of days ago, so then thought it really must be a T40 that fits. Took both wheels off tonight, only to find that the T40's too big, so I guess it must be a
T35.

I've managed to loosen the Tie Rod end locknut. It must be a 22mm nut. I don't have a 22mm spanner (very frustratingly my spanner set goes up to 19mm) but my father left me a 7/16 Whitworth spanner, which did the job after Plus Gas treatment.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Hello, it goes T20, T25, T27, T30, T40, T45, T50 and last one is a T55. They start at T6 in my Draper book, hope this helps, regards Damian.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've rung a Renault dealer, and a technician confirmed it is a T40, so either;

1. I've not tried hard enough to get it in, or
2. I've got a faulty or poorly manufactured bit.

I'll whip a wheel off, try again, and report back later.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's No. 2.

It almost, but doesn't quite go in. I've tapped it with a pin hammer (that's a light hammer used by Cabinet Makers - my father was one - for knocking panel pins into wood), and it's got some sort of a grip.

I'm only using a 1/4" drive, 5.5 inch ratchet handle, so I'm not too hopeful. Went to Halfords tonight, and they had a large T40 screwdriver. I'm thinking now I should've bought it for £5.

Anyway, I've Plusgassed it, and I'm going to leave it and have my dinner now.

I've managed to budge the 18mm bolts that hold the caliper, but they were very tight.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Replacing disc requires also removal of caliper stands, you know. There are two bolts behind the disc, N.18 most likely that do not require replacement, but need threadlocker applied.
The two screws on the face of the disc can be unscrewed with a normal scredriver but requires a lot of exertion. Those are to be replaced as per Renault tech note. Why, I don't know, as their only role is to hold the disc in place just for mounting the wheel.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, no chance of moving it with that.

What I noticed about this thing in Halfords, was the bit tapered, so that it sort of wedges into the screw head, whereas my bit seems to have a straight shank.

Question is, would I be more succesful with that screwdriver (it was nice and long), or will I get more leverage with a bit in a short bar and ratchet, or maybe I need to buy a T-bar !

Chris,
If heat has sealed it, will I ever release it without resorting to heating the disc up ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think that's your problem:

Get a T-handle and adjustable wrench.
Looks sth like this:

Lock wheel, push handle & proper bit into screw, lock with wrench and unscrew.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought that £4.99 Torx T40 Screwdriver from Halfords tonight. It's a real beast. Fitted perfectly.

Still wouldn't undo the screw until I used some heat and gave it a good tap. Only undid it when I took the rubber gardening gloves off I was wearing.

Got one disc off, but the shop's given me the wrong pads, so I've left it til tomorrow am.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just had a nightmare replacing the front discs and pads on the misses' 03 Clio dCi Dynamique.
The discs and pads were the originals so had been on for four years. Renault must assemble them without copper grease as everything was solid. The disc holding screws rounded straight away. Ended up drilling them out with a titanium tipped drill bit from B & Q then recutting the threads. Unfortunately on the passenger side my thread cutter gave up and sheared off in the hub! eventually ground it off flat and reassembled it without either screw fitted on that side. I assume that these screws are only to hold the disc in place and not for transmitting any loads?
Seen some cars with them and others without so felt it was safe to leave them off.

Regards, Leigh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts