Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks.

Ever since we got this car in June 2010 the sunroof has creaked quite noisily when it's closed. I've greased the tracks and lubricated everything I can see but no difference.

Anyone familiar with this problem and how to fix it? My guess is it's caused by the roof flexing but I have had the same model before and not encountered this problem.

All ideas/suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sunroof creaking is common on clios(and bloody annoying). Noise comes from the thin metal rod in the handle unit that flexes and creates friction on the joining plastic parts. Not much you can do im afraid its just poorly designed. Fit a new hanle or keep you sunroof open!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info - can you expand on what you mean by the handle as this is an electric sunroof (sorry, should have mentioned) and has no handle as such?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oops!, Sorry should of asked. In that case its the sides of the sunroof cartridge rubbing against the roof. As the sunroof sits down into the hole in the roof there is approx 3mm of clearance on all sides, if sunroof is not sat centraly and is touching roof at any point the contact creates a rattle/squeeking noise.

From inside, remove the beading trim and pull headling down slightly. You will see approx 16 10mm bolts around the base of sunroof cartridge. If you slacken these bolts you should be able to move the catridge slightly by hand. It just a case of manouvering the cartridge around until it feels central. If you use a torch from inside you will be able to see the movement in relation to the roof hole.

Sometimes it can be trial and error and can take a few attempts but is worth it to stop that bloody annoying noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

This is a common problem on that model, i had the same thing with my wifes car. Your local dealer can offer a couple of solutions (changing a couple of the hinges etc) dont know if they charge for it though. Might not as it is a know fault.

I have worked for Renault on and of for 7 years and have seen many people try different things including glueing the roof down (not recommended lol) but some one did use that foam insulating strip that you can get to go around doors and windows (cheap as chips from B&Q etc) and they claimed it worked.

But your right its is the roof flexing that causes the noise....

My solution to it was to turn the radio up.....:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I might give one of those solutions a try or, as another poster wittily suggested, just turn up the stereo - actually the car's my wife's commuting vehicle so I rarely use it.

The car's got some other probs - please see my other posts if you think you can help with them - much appreciated.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
To answer your original question (can a squeaking sunroof be fixed), I think the answer is no. My car has done this since it was brand new. The noise is just as bad whether the roof is open or closed and I think it is because the roof isn't that well made.
I just live with it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bummer!

Well, given the aggro involved in getting the headlining out to access the underside of the sunroof frame I may well leave it alone.

But I hate to be defeated!:d

1 - 9 of 9 Posts