Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst changing the coil pack (3 fixing type), the end of one of the pencil modules has somehow cracked and is left sitting around the plug at the bottom of the recess. Imagine a small doughnut about 10-15mm thick sitting around the base of the plug.

This is a nightmare as the recess is extremely deep and very tight.

I have refitted the old CP and the car will run, so I am okay temporarily.

Any thoughts on removing the small piece without having to strip everything off to gain access?

One alternative is to modify the new CP to suit, and continue to run. This will also prevent the plug from ever being removed, if required.

Anyone encountered this? Possible fixes?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
It is common on this engine for the rubber inserts to come out of the end of the ignition lead and stay stuck to the ceramic part of the spark plug. In this case I have a small hook tool that I use to stab the rubber and drag it out, although it normally takes a few goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is common on this engine for the rubber inserts to come out of the end of the ignition lead and stay stuck to the ceramic part of the spark plug.
Thanks for the reply,

In my case it seems like the rubber insert is stuck on and the outer plastic sleeve has also broken off around it, making the problem a bit worse.

Out of interest, what did you use to fabricate the hook tool?

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
The hook tool is sold by Snap-on tools, similar items are sold by most tool makers, although you need to make sure you buy one long enough to reach down there.

All I can suggest in your case is to try it with a similar method.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snap-On tool seems to be about £12, oddly enough I can't really find any alternatives from other manufacturers...

I may just buy the Snap-On tool. Is yours the 90 degree tool?

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Chop up a wire coat hanger to make a hook, or 2 then go fishing.
Best keep it in your toolbox, it has many uses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the job done, but it was a nightmare.

After making myself a set of dentistry tools, I set about removing the offending piece. A couple of hooks later, it became apparent that it wasn't an offending piece, so much as hundreds of pieces. I've no idea how it got into that state, but the rubber pieces appeared soft and perished and the plastic pieces brittle and weak.

Over an hour of fishing tiny bits out with various bits of coat hanger (several angles, one hammered flat for "scooping") I eventually fished out one big piece, which took most of the remainder with it.

I was left with a deep recess full of small bits of crud. I improvised and used a 20cm length of garden hose gaffer tape sealed onto the end of the household vacuum cleaner to remove the remaining detritus.

Clean as a whistle in the hole now. New coil pack fitted. So far, so good!

From what I have seen I doubt the plugs are in the best condition... but I know better than to change more than one variable at a time. I'll run the car for a couple of weeks, see if the mis-fire is cured and change the plug later.

Anyone got a source for a decent, inexpensive deep socket tool to change the plugs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts