Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi liam - nothing is imposible when it comes to modding motors it just depends on how much money youv'e got to spend. To change the rears to drums would mean a lot of modification, new master cylinder - replace front brakes so they match, change the ABS unit, etc., etc., - the list goes on. Then you'd have to notify your insurers. In all honesty it probably just wouldn't be cost effective - you would be better putting the money towards a better car. As a matter of interest why do you want to uprate the brakes anyway.:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
It'd be easier to replace the entire rear axle altogether with the brakes.
Still, why on earth would you want to do such a thing?

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
It would be a complete waste of time and cash.

The main reason disc brakes are fitted is that they cool down quicker than drum brakes so are not prone to fading. Rear brakes are designed to apply a lot less braking force than the fronts so as to prevent them locking up so causing a skid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ive also heard of people who drag there cars installing drum brakes on the back instead of discs!

Drums drag less than discs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ive heard that drums are better for handbreaking. Dno if thats true or not, might be something to consider if ur thinking of going to the extent of changing ur drums. If u just want disks on the back so they look better perhaps you could try painting ur drums, shouldnt be that hard and they look half decent through ur wheels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!.I know this thread is a little old :p but I have some questions about the drum to disc convertion on clio 2... I know the easyest way is to buy the rear axle from 182rs but right now I have 2 rear hubs with calipers from 182rs, and also new disc and pads... I am wondering if they will fit on my clio 2 and also If I need new handbrake cable or new rear brake hoses to fit on calipers? Has anyone try this? As part the rear brake hose has the same lenght 180-190mm at clio 2 1.2 and clio 2 rs also....but I am not sure if the metalic brake line stops at the same point in both cars....So does anybody know If I need to buy custom made brake hoses to fit the calipers or it fits with the stock ones and I have just to put on the hubs with calipers discs ect -> plug ang play?? Thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts