Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.

I have encountered a problem with my Clio II 1.6 16v -01. The outer cv joint on the right hand side needs replacing. So I figured that I would loosen the entire axle from the gearbox. There's just one problem. I don't know for sure where it is supposed to split in two. At the right arrow I can see splines, but iwhen I look at pictures of new drive shafts it looks like it is supposed to be loosened right by the support bearing. Does anyone know for sure? I tried pulling it without any succes.

So then I thought, maybe I can replace the outer cv joint with the axle still attached to the gearbox. I understand that there is a small ring that locks the joint to the axle but it is not visible. So I'm not able to compress it so the joint can be loosened. I have tried to hit the joint with a hammer but it will not come off. Should I just hit it harder and more or is there a better way to loosen it?

Thank you SO much in advance guys. Would be really to get this sorted as fast as possible. Cheers 馃嵒

EDIT: I saw that there are cv joint pullers. Maybe that would be a good idea to buy. Still need help with loosening the drive shaft though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Hey again. Looks like there is a track or how you say at the end of the drive shaft. Looks like it could be attached with a retaining clip. But do I loosen the supportbearing?

Thank you in advance!

Sexy at 71 super mod..
There will be a retaining clip..some times you put the shaft in a vice and with a good lump hammer hit the bearing area and jolt the shaft out..if that doesnt work then destroy the bearing cage ..pop out the ball bearing etc like in this vid..

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
There will be a retaining clip..some times you put the shaft in a vice and with a good lump hammer hit the bearing area and jolt the shaft out..if that doesnt work then destroy the bearing cage ..pop out the ball bearing etc like in this vid..

Thanks alot for your reply @Phil48 :) Wow that was a bit of work compared to some other cars... I guess I will try to do that with the shaft still in place. Seems hard to get it out. Thanks again!

Sexy at 71 super mod..
Thanks alot for your reply @Phil48 :) Wow that was a bit of work compared to some other cars... I guess I will try to do that with the shaft still in place. Seems hard to get it out. Thanks again!
One other way out..change the whole shaft..

Sexy at 71 super mod..
Found a vid on a clio 1.4 and as the 1.4 and 1.6 tend to be very much the same in many instances I hope this might help you further.. 馃

If that doesnt help then I think you need to buy a Haynes workshop manual..remember to get get the right one though from what I see on ebay there is a manual for a 98 to 2001 car and one for 01 to 05..

Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
I think you need to buy a Haynes workshop manual..
+1.
I certainly wouldn't tackle a job like that without the Haynes book. Last time I bought a car I got it from Halfords on the way hoome from the auction house. It will pay for itself the first time you open it.

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
Take the drive shaft off the car

Be aware you WILL get oil coming out , you can collect and put back in, or buy a litre of gearbox oil

Stand on the shaft with the shaft on a house brick/block of wood.
Now hit the drive shaft where the clip is, One hard hit, and it will come off
DONT pussy hit it. you will damage the bearing .

Sexy at 71 super mod..
Take the drive shaft off the car

Be aware you WILL get oil coming out , you can collect and put back in, or buy a litre of gearbox oil

Stand on the shaft with the shaft on a house brick/block of wood.
Now hit the drive shaft where the clip is, One hard hit, and it will come off
DONT pussy hit it. you will damage the bearing .
Dont be a pussy and hit it as said in post 3.. 馃憜 are you speed reading again my old mate..馃

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
You mentioned a Vice, how many people have a vice?

Its out, on a lump of wood,
Then shout Boo, as that will shock it, and it's off

Sexy at 71 super mod..
You mentioned a Vice, how many people have a vice?

Its out, on a lump of wood,
Then shout Boo, as that will shock it, and it's off
Ok possibly he may not have one..but most D.I.Yer's will have or at least should have.. pretty much an essential for the diy workshop of today..

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Hey again guys. Thank you very much for your replies. I have a Haynes book however it didn't mention this particular setup. Anyways, I managed to remove the old cv joint with the axle still in the gearbox. That video was very helpful @Phil48 . So, job done, thanks again, cheers :) 馃嵒

Sexy at 71 super mod..
Wah hey..who's da kiddy..(y)(y) glad you managed to sort it out..

Put my cheque in the post asap..馃槈

1 - 14 of 14 Posts