Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 54 plate Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v and the intermittent wipe position (1st click on stalk) doesn't operate the wiper blades nor does turning the central ring on the stalk.Slow and fast wiping are fine as is wash/wipe.
This is very annoying especially now the weather is turning.
I wondered if I might be missing something on the operation of the wipers due to me being a bit thick.
If not is it common fault and what might be the most likely causes .
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone got any input on this?I've been doing a bit of googling and also looked in Haynes.I'm wondering if it could be a fault in the stalk itself -possibly bad/dirty connection.
I think its a 20amp fuse in passenger side for overall windscreen wipers but I'm not sure which is the relay although I can hear something clicking when I put the wipers on.Is there a seperate fuse or relay for the intermittant wipe or could it be in the multitimer unit

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know I'm digging up an old post here, but I have exactly the same problem and will work through it on here so that anyone else looking for it might be able to find a solution.

--------------------------

So to reiterate, I have an '04 reg 1.2L 16v Clio II (Dynamique) and everything is working except the intermittent wipers (Note: this car doesn't have a rain sensor).

I started with the easiest troubleshooting option and listened carefully whilst turning the wipers on. When turning the wipers onto modes 1 and 2 (two clicks down and three clicks down respectively) I could hear some relays clicking in the front of the car, but I couldn't hear a relay clicking when I put the wipers onto intermittent.

Since the other wipers work I suspect that the problem isn't the fuse, or with the motor. Fuses can be tricksy though, so I checked them (F3 and F4) anyway and they're fine. Also, since I can't hear the relay clicking the wiring from the relay to the motor is probably also fine.

So I took the control stalk off, got my multi-meter out, and had a play with the help of my Haynes manual. If you take the stalk off you'll find that the white connector connecting it to the car has two rows of brass (?) contacts inside. There are 7 contacts on the bottom side (B coded in Haynes) and 5 on the top side (A coded in Haynes). I set my multi-meter to measure resistance and set it between A7 (+ve from main fuse box) and A6 (intermittent setting that goes off to the multimeter). When I clicked the stalk down this resistance drop from infinite to zero, so that bit works. When I then operated the twisting intermittency setting the resistance clicked up from about 0 to about 10 (can't remember what units now, something ohms). So basically, that switch is working fine. (Note: in wiring diagram 5 my Haynes manual uses the symbol for a resistor at this point, but I think that must be a mistake and should be a variable resistor / potentiometer symbol instead.)

At this point it's pointing towards the relay, and it turns out that the relay is build into the UCH. I tried testing this - some UCH's are reset after the battery is disconnected for 15 mins and this can fix some problems. So I took the negative lead off my battery for 15 mins, reconnected it, and tried my intermittent wipers and they worked! Once. Then stopped again. I don't know if this is a problem with the UCH which will need replacing or a problem with the motor that the UCH is picking up and stopping the wipers going (so it doesn't burn out or something).

So, I could try and fit a new motor, and it may or may not fix it. This'll cost about £30 to pick one up on ebay. Or I could replace my UCH. That means it'll cost £300ish to get Renault to give you a new UCH and code it to your car. You can also find UCH/Immobiliser/Key sets on ebay for about £100 which you can fit yourself, but they may need to be decoded.

I'll probably ignore the problem :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts